Any English proof mark experts? more photos added, sorry about the lack of photos on the OP, I thought my computer locked up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I've posted these before, apologies, but I don't think I have. Anyway, I have an old SXS 10 gauge that I'm wondering about some of the proof marks. I've figured out most of them, but one still has me bumfuzzled.
JW in parenthesis and a W above it.
DSCN2627.JPG

The L is on the right barrel, not sure what it or the 2 mean, the left proof mark is Birmingham, England, but I can't find anything that resembles the far right mark.

DSCN2626.JPG

Right sideplate which says Albert Greener. I know there was an Albert Greener, and he did make approximately 30 shotguns. I also know that the odds of this being an original is akin to winning Powerball and Mega Millions at the same time.
DSCN2629.JPG

Left sideplate and underlug lever.
DSCN2631.JPG

The proofmarks on the watertable are all Birmingham crossed halyards and choke markings so I didn't take photos of them. There is also an 11 on the left side of the watertable, and a 12 on the right side. Not sure what they would be.

Also wondering who I could take it to in the OKC area for appraisal.

Last edited:

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If I've posted these before, apologies, but I don't think I have. Anyway, I have an old SXS 10 gauge that I'm wondering about some of the proof marks. I've figured out most of them, but one still has me bumfuzzled.
JW in parenthesis and a W above it.View attachment 311549
The L is on the right barrel, not sure what it or the 2 mean, the left proof mark is Birmingham, England, but I can't find anything that resembles the far right mark.

View attachment 311407

Right sideplate which says Albert Greener. I know there was an Albert Greener, and he did make approximately 30 shotguns. I also know that the odds of this being an original is akin to winning Powerball and Mega Millions at the same time.
View attachment 311550
Left sideplate and underlug lever.
View attachment 311554
The proofmarks on the watertable are all Birmingham crossed halyards and choke markings so I didn't take photos of them. There is also an 11 on the left side of the watertable, and a 12 on the right side. Not sure what they would be.

Also wondering who I could take it to in the OKC area for appraisal.
Very cool. For a gun like that I would take it to Champlin’s in Enid. They can give an appraisal of it and will find out as much info as possible on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom