Any fellow amateur radio or GMRS folks here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GMRS, are you talking about those radios you can get at Walmart? Since when do they need a license?

You might be referring to FRS. Same channels, less power, and no repeater privileges. GMRS you're allowed 50 watts and repeater access, but it requires a 50 dollar license from the FCC that's good for 10 years. I got mine so as to be able to talk to family members who won't get an amateur license. Which I can't blame them for that, they don't see the value in it and it's not exactly easy. Well, it's easy, but far from convenient.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30-year ham, Extra Class here - I agree that you should be able to hear something. Your antenna should be capable as it is a proven design with good reviews by users. Others have already mentioned checking your programming so those comments still bear on the conversation. I'd also recommend checking out your coaxial cable and connections to ensure it is not causing a problem with a bad connector or a break. One way to check for reception is to tune the radio to the local NOAA weather radio frequency as it is easily received across a wide area. This will allow you to check for issues relating directly to your location, the mounting of the antenna, the cable, proximity to metal ducting, etc. that could affect your reception.

Good luck & welcome to ham radio where every day is a new learning opportunity!

I did have some errors in programming and corrected those. I'm learning more about the various settings on the radio, so probably getting close to figuring out what the hangup is.

Good suggestion on the NOAA! I will do that!

I'm pretty sure the antenna is good though because I was able to get about three or four miles out of simplex between me with my setup and a family member with a Baofeng down the street from me.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my Technician's five years ago. I've got a Yaesu FT-8900R set up in my classroom and a Kenwood in my truck. I hardly ever talk on either. I have a digital TYT handheld and a Wouxun also. I use the Kenwood the most because it is set to our city police frequency and I'm a volunteer with them. Check this out , I'm KG5FUU. When I got my call sign issued my wife said " they must know you."

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ft65r with a n9tax antenna. I'm pretty sure I have the tones and offset programmed right, but I don't know if maybe the settings in the radio are off. Pretty clueless as to what most of them are, and Google hasn't been helping much.
Do you have your radio set at the highest power out level? I would suspect you just have a setting(s) not quite right yet...

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FCC requires a license to transmit on GMRS frequencies. No Test. Currently $70 (a new fee schedule is being developed-soon to be $35). One license covers an individual and immediate family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom