Any fellow amateur radio or GMRS folks here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH BOY ..A bunch of old men sitting around in tube socks talking about the latest arthritis medicine they're trying or what their blood pressure was this morning. IF you hear anyone talking at all.

True to some extent except when Hams are helping with weather outbreaks, parades, marathon, etc. HF is where it gets interesting - it’s pretty cool to make contact with people in Europe, Baltic states, Australia, Africa, etc. The OMISS nets are pretty cool for working all the states and there is usually a contest or special event station going on every week. I’ve made contact with all the above using a G5RV jr antenna strung in my attic. As others have said, conditions should start improving as the new solar cycle ramps up.

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked your link and they didn’t list the bandwidth. The most common setting is wide. The “uplink” tone is your PL or t tone, is 151.4 and the offset is - .6 MHz. I am also using a FT60R.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two repeaters with the same callsign. The same Ham, or club entity, can have multiple repeaters owned/operated and they will have the same call sign. They are the Trustee.

Do you have the manual for the radio?

I have the FT60, I am not familiar with the FT65.

I am not familiar with GMRS, Ham Radios should not be able to transmit out of band, unless modified.

I *think* you need a GMRS radio for that band plan.

Sorry, I just don't operate 2 meters or GMRS, I only do HF, mainly 20 & 40 Meters.
I have a GMRS radio, as well.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you heard any stations on your Yaesu?
Nope. I'm on the extreme edge of NW OKC. Do you know where the new Braums is on NW Expressway and Highway 4? I live maybe a mile from there. It's about three miles west of the Kilpatrick exit on Hefner Road. About two miles further and you're at the Piedmont border.

So I don't know, maybe I'm just too far out. Seems like I should at least hear traffic though. I have a n9tax dual band antenna up in my attic. It's about 20ft off the ground.

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am up in the extreme NE corner of Oklahoma by Quapaw. Wish I was closer to you. I agree, you should be able to hear something. Have you tried any uhf? What frequencies have you tried?

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. I'm on the extreme edge of NW OKC. Do you know where the new Braums is on NW Expressway and Highway 4? I live maybe a mile from there. It's about three miles west of the Kilpatrick exit on Hefner Road. About two miles further and you're at the Piedmont border.

So I don't know, maybe I'm just too far out. Seems like I should at least hear traffic though. I have a n9tax dual band antenna up in my attic. It's about 20ft off the ground.

30-year ham, Extra Class here - I agree that you should be able to hear something. Your antenna should be capable as it is a proven design with good reviews by users. Others have already mentioned checking your programming so those comments still bear on the conversation. I'd also recommend checking out your coaxial cable and connections to ensure it is not causing a problem with a bad connector or a break. One way to check for reception is to tune the radio to the local NOAA weather radio frequency as it is easily received across a wide area. This will allow you to check for issues relating directly to your location, the mounting of the antenna, the cable, proximity to metal ducting, etc. that could affect your reception.

Good luck & welcome to ham radio where every day is a new learning opportunity!

Latest posts

Top Bottom