Any Glock People Actually like the Smith and Wesson M&P?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M&P guy myself, mostly because the grip is slimmer than the Glock and I have short digits.

The Grip texture might turn you off on the M&P 2.0's though. When the 2.0 was first out, I got to shoot 500rd from it. My palm was pretty tore up for a few days. The back strap is VERY aggressive. If I get a 2.0, I'll be sanding that down to a more comfy level.

Other than that, tHe grip angle is different

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t consider myself a Glock person. I have been shooting M&Ps for several years. A few years ago I started competing in Glock specific (GSSF) matches. Because of this, I spent considerable time training and carrying Glocks. Still when I pick up a M&P, it feels better to me. Don’t get me wrong, I still do pretty well with a Glock, better than most. The M&P is just a bit more natural to me and my scores tend to be slightly better. Earlier this year I shot a match with three entries. 2 Glocks and an M&P. My best total time was the M&P by about 4%. I had not shot any of my M&Ps in a few months vs the two Glocks I had fired regularly trying to focus on the GSSF competitions.

There still is not a lot of difference. They are still very similar. If you keep an open mind and shoot both long enough time form a valid opinion, you will likely find a favorite. I’m not talking about a couple of magazines. I’m talking about several hundred to several thousand. It is an investment most will not make.

Neither will be a fix for poor fundamentals. But spending considerable time with both should produce a preference to one or another.... “for that particular person”. It may be only that it just feels more familiar to you and you cannot get past that. In my case, it clearly shows up on a timer in first shot times and splits on the same target. Less so in the first shot on a subsequent target.

I feel comfortable with either and don’t really feel I’m shorting myself when carrying either. I do acknowledge I could likely do slightly better dropping one platform or another after a length of time. But I enjoy experimenting with different platforms and trying to develop my skill with them.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M&P guy myself, mostly because the grip is slimmer than the Glock and I have short digits.

The Grip texture might turn you off on the M&P 2.0's though. When the 2.0 was first out, I got to shoot 500rd from it. My palm was pretty tore up for a few days. The back strap is VERY aggressive. If I get a 2.0, I'll be sanding that down to a more comfy level.

Other than that, tHe grip angle is different

This is a really big difference in the FS M&P vs the FS Glock. The M&P with a small backstrap can get you to a place a Glock cannot without modifying the gun with a grip reduction.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 shields that are not bad except for the trigger.I will be trading one or both in very soon for a sig 365XL.The glock G43X is my favorite so far of the smaller semi autos.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have 2 shields that are not bad except for the trigger.I will be trading one or both in very soon for a sig 365XL.The glock G43X is my favorite so far of the smaller semi autos.
You most likely won't get much for trade in on the Shields. You would probably be better off to sell them and use the funds for your new purchase.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your right about the shield having a low trade in value.I have a S&W model 19-5 that the owner of the gun store has been trying to talk me out of for a few years. I might make him a package deal for the right price.

n2soonerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick one, train with it. Whichever tool works better for you, will most likely be the one you “like”. -if you’re honest with yourself and aren’t just a pistol whore, fingering a new one every couple months

But I can’t help it , I Am a @ “pistol whore” Sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm following the same path that Mad Professor has. I have found the Gen 5 Glocks to be the only ones I think I could learn to actually like. I own it solely for GSSF matches but wouldn't feel ill-equipped at all if it were my only pistol. It shoots better than my M&P 9FS, markedly better that my 9 Pro and .40, but the ergos just aren't there for me. The M&P drops mags more freely (I like that) but the base plates on the Glock are better for carrying. Overall I rate a Glock and M&P as equals. Just pick which works better for you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look into Apex Tactical trigger replacements for your shields. They much improve the trigger.