Any Honda mechanics here ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daily driver, 2006 civic has a P0847 code, Trans pressure sensor, switch B circuit low, the scan tool says $71.00, I found one, not to brag about YT video and think I found the part under the video on e bay for $18.50..
https://www.ebay.com/i/190772518460?chn=ps

The wife's 2003 Element is also sick and has a P0010 code, camshaft position acuator control circuit open bank 1.. Again I couldn't find a "good" you tube.. SO tomorrow I'll play mechanic and see what I can accomplish.. You Tube generally serves us well but I couldn't find anything specific to our Hondas.. Driving the 6.0 Chevy is eating my lunch.. Here's the part I came up with for this code..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-2-4L-0...=item33f8d3a53d:g:g5oAAOSwijtcSTQd:rk:10:pf:0

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes those Chinese parts will cause me to do the job twice. I end up cussing myself for being a tightwad!

Sometimes those Chinese parts will cause me to do the job twice. I end up cussing myself for being a tightwad!

The part is $50-100 at the auto parts and they'd have to order it.. The part is here on my desk and anything over $20 would be RAPE.. I ordered the part off e bay for $13.99.. It was easy to get to and remove, the hardest part was jacking the car up and crawling under, But I'll change the oil while it's up.. But yes I've been burnt on Chinese junk too..

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P0010 is an oil control solenoid valve malfunction code(I'm guessing a generic scanner pulled up open circuit). Usually when the Element throws a camshaft actuator code the vtec screens(strainers) need to be cleaned. This usually happens on higher mileage(160k+)2.4s and vehicles that don't have their oil changed routinely. The main strainer is held on by 2- 10mm bolts near the power steering pump. It requires removing the PS and I think the tensioner as well. I also remove the vtec solenoid off of the back and clean that at the same time(3-10mm bolts)If you are trying to google problems with the Element, try replacing Element with CR-V(2002-2006). They are the same thing besides the uglyness.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P0010 is an oil control solenoid valve malfunction code(I'm guessing a generic scanner pulled up open circuit). Usually when the Element throws a camshaft actuator code the vtec screens(strainers) need to be cleaned. This usually happens on higher mileage(160k+)2.4s and vehicles that don't have their oil changed routinely. The main strainer is held on by 2- 10mm bolts near the power steering pump. It requires removing the PS and I think the tensioner as well. I also remove the vtec solenoid off of the back and clean that at the same time(3-10mm bolts)If you are trying to google problems with the Element, try replacing Element with CR-V(2002-2006). They are the same thing besides the uglyness.

Thank you Sir,
the element has 132k, I replaced the vtec solenoid last year maybe the year before and it wasn't a difficult process other than standing on a step stool.. The current oil is a synthetic 5-20 as recommended and has roughly 2500 miles on it, the wife doesn't do much driving so the oil gets old before it reaches the 4k I change at.. But being oil related I was going to change it just to eliminate that possible cause.. I really dread the thought of having to remove the PS pump and tensioner, I suppose I'll pull the vtec solenoid and change the oil and see if it won't erase and stay gone.. Think that may work ? Working in the gravel driveway this time of year just isn't real comfortable or appealing..

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would focus more on the strainer on the front of the engine- it is usually the one that has the most sediment in it. It has been a few months since I have done one, so I may not recall this correctly, but a long 14mm wrench with another wrench as leverage takes the tension off of the belt. A couple of 12mm bolts hold on the PS pump. Unbolt that and set it all to the side(don't undo any hoses). Three 12mm bolts hold on the tensioner. You might need a shallow socket and a deep socket 12mm. You don't need to lay on the gravel unless you change the oil(I do this last), but I understand the dread- I have spent years working and crawling around on gravel. I use the carpeted thick cardboard trunk pieces to lay on. I have had a to repeat the cleaning a couple of times before, but going based on your maintenance and mileage I think one time will be enough. Also, if you decide not to clean the main strainer, there is a chance that the light will come back on in the near future and throw the car into limp mode which makes it very difficult and slightly dangerous to climb hills with the RPM based fuel cut.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would focus more on the strainer on the front of the engine- it is usually the one that has the most sediment in it. It has been a few months since I have done one, so I may not recall this correctly, but a long 14mm wrench with another wrench as leverage takes the tension off of the belt. A couple of 12mm bolts hold on the PS pump. Unbolt that and set it all to the side(don't undo any hoses). Three 12mm bolts hold on the tensioner. You might need a shallow socket and a deep socket 12mm. You don't need to lay on the gravel unless you change the oil(I do this last), but I understand the dread- I have spent years working and crawling around on gravel. I use the carpeted thick cardboard trunk pieces to lay on. I have had a to repeat the cleaning a couple of times before, but going based on your maintenance and mileage I think one time will be enough. Also, if you decide not to clean the main strainer, there is a chance that the light will come back on in the near future and throw the car into limp mode which makes it very difficult and slightly dangerous to climb hills with the RPM based fuel cut.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the written tutorial .. This will be tomorrows auto work, the wife picked up the oil change goods while I was out shooting, but don't tell her that..

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
rs731_pbsrc_com_albums_ww311_ReallyAllyGraphics_Animations_genie_zipper_gif_c200_.gif

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That was a decent task to find a near clean screen, there was a wee bit of grit captured but not enough to think it had any restriction..
My next move was to pull off the vtec solenoid as it is leaking and I'd ALMOST bet that leakage caused the problems I'm seeing now.. I'll have to guess and say due to being scared of breakage I didn't get enough torque the 1st go round.. I hate newer vehicles, I'd trade these 2 for 2 old 6 banger beaters..

Latest posts

Top Bottom