Any Horse or Cattle People?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mounted shooting??? Are you kidding me…. Make sure you add eye and ear protect for the horse to your list of stuff you have to buy. This is the worst idea I have ever heard. Take two really expensive hobbies and combine them?
I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not. If you are: they fire blanks (still loud), and there is obviously a lot of history and extreme skill involved in the sport. If you own horses and like guns, then... Why not?

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rode Saturday afternoon with a buddy of mine. We were on a pretty rocky hill, and somehow we managed to get tangled up in old barbed wire that was hidden in some tall grass. Needless to say, the rodeo was on. We both ended up on the rocks and wire facedown. When we got back to our feet, we just looked at each other and shook our heads. Our jeans and shirts were all torn up, and we had some minor cuts and bruises. The horses had a couple of superficial cuts on their legs. Overall, we were lucky because it could have been a lot worse. The hardest part of the day was trying to get my old bruised butt back on that horse.
Things happen fast on a horse, that is for sure. Glad you’re okay. Hopefully you and the horses don’t get any infections, it’s amazing what old wire can do.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rode Saturday afternoon with a buddy of mine. We were on a pretty rocky hill, and somehow we managed to get tangled up in old barbed wire that was hidden in some tall grass. Needless to say, the rodeo was on. We both ended up on the rocks and wire facedown. When we got back to our feet, we just looked at each other and shook our heads. Our jeans and shirts were all torn up, and we had some minor cuts and bruises. The horses had a couple of superficial cuts on their legs. Overall, we were lucky because it could have been a lot worse. The hardest part of the day was trying to get my old bruised butt back on that horse.

Many years ago, we were moving cattle via horseback when my horse walked into some barbed wire. I figured that the rodeo was fixing to start, but surprisingly, that horse just stayed perfectly still as I got off and started cutting the wire away from his legs. (I always carried a pair of wire pliers on my belt in those days because of how much we worked with wire fences.) That horse amazed me with his demeanor with the wire. I guess he had experienced wire before.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a horse get into some old wire. Old mare (28), awesome horse. She went berserk. Ended up with a bad cut in fetlock (inside of wrist). Several weeks of cleaning and bandages, plus multiple penicillin injections. Granddaughter upset because she couldn't ride, but all worked out in a couple of months.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Peter1861 i used to ride a lot as a kid and we used to punch cows for about a decade. My parents horses have finally all passed away and the last one they had finally got sold the other day.

I do have my saddle I need gotten rid of if I can make myself sell it. Maybe you or someone you know is interested.
I might be interested in the saddle depending on what it is.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
In line with that in bold, my father-in-law really like the cattle side of his farming and ranching business much more than the farming side. After selling the farm in the Panhandle back in the early '80's, they eventually bought a ranch in Nebraska.

We got a call from him one day that it looked like he was going to have to give up the ranch and move back to Oklahoma to be near family. He had gone out that morning to go check his cattle on horseback, but it took him most of the morning to finally get the saddle up on the horse. Then, after getting him saddled, he wasn't able to get into the saddle.

That is when he realized that the cattle business would have to go away. I know it hurt him deeply, because his heart was really into that.
I know! I have had lots of moments when I was forced to concede I'm not as young as I once was! We went to Home Depo last spring, and was walking into te garden center, and there was a guy loading a flat bed truck. This jerk was CUSSING, LOUDLY just saying the worst langue you ever heard. This was obviously embarrassing everyone in hearing, so I ask him to hold it down a little. Well he started in on me! This guy looked to be 30, and I was 75 at the time, and I thought I was going to have to kick his ass, right there in front of dozens of people. We all know anyone that talks that much, and is that LOUD is usually bluffing, and as it turned out he was as well, but afterwords I did wonder if I was about to find something else i can no longer do, as well as I once could! I carry a walking cane now just in case I let my mouth overload my ass, AGAIN!

Latest posts

Top Bottom