Any interest in another round of shotguns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like, in the defensive world anyway, that the good ol' scattergun has been dumped just like the .40 S&W cartridge, and I don't understand why. :scratch:

With the .40, yeah, I get it. With today's materials and technology, I'm sure there is no "major" difference in the .40, 9mm or .45ACP in most social work performance.

However, I personally feel like the 12 gauge shotgun, within fighting distance (10-21 feet) and the right load, is a more devastating weapon than ANY rifle round out there. Yeah, farther than 30-40 feet, the rifle reigns supreme, but an ounce of lead with a pattern about 10 inches in diameter will incapacitate an assailant with more devastation than a single rifle round.

Maybe I'm wrong? Anybody? :anyone:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's still bigger than a couple of .22 caliber (.223/5.56) rounds, and that's with just one pull of the trigger.

Again, an ounce of lead is an ounce of lead. In my line of work, I've seen bodies shot with both. No comparison.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like, in the defensive world anyway, that the good ol' scattergun has been dumped just like the .40 S&W cartridge, and I don't understand why. :scratch:

With the .40, yeah, I get it. With today's materials and technology, I'm sure there is no "major" difference in the .40, 9mm or .45ACP in most social work performance.

However, I personally feel like the 12 gauge shotgun, within fighting distance (10-21 feet) and the right load, is a more devastating weapon than ANY rifle round out there. Yeah, farther than 30-40 feet, the rifle reigns supreme, but an ounce of lead with a pattern about 10 inches in diameter will incapacitate an assailant with more devastation than a single rifle round.

Maybe I'm wrong? Anybody? :anyone:
I would agree that 12G is more devastating but rifles have the advantage of higher capacity magazines and faster follow up shots. also rifles take the win if barrier penetration is a concern. Really just a matter of preference but I cant think of anything better than a suppressed 300BLK AR pistol/SBR for home defense purposes.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's still bigger than a couple of .22 caliber (.223/5.56) rounds, and that's with just one pull of the trigger.

Again, an ounce of lead is an ounce of lead. In my line of work, I've seen bodies shot with both. No comparison.
that little .22 cal round is also travelling about twice the speed as that buck shot...that makes a difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom