Any issues storing guns for a friend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any issues storing guns, at the friends request, at your place/in your safe? I have a buddy who has asked me to store a few pistols for him over a weekend or such in the past as he goes out of town (he doesnt have a safe)...and this last go-around he asked if I could keep them until we go shooting again. Nothing really valuable, and only 3 or 5 pistols depending on what he's holding back for SD...just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of?

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the off chance he used them for a nefarious deed, got arrested and told them where they were they could possibly get you as an accomplice.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd have him inventory and photograph all of them with notes about their condition. Document all defects and damages for your protection

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You also have the bad position if your house gets robbed or burns down of replacing his property of having a weird wedge driven between you guys.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the off chance he used them for a nefarious deed, got arrested and told them where they were they could possibly get you as an accomplice.

I trust that he is clean, but do agree that could be a possibility. I wouldnt do it for someone who I remotely believed would be in a position like that.

I'd have him inventory and photograph all of them with notes about their condition. Document all defects and damages for your protection

I think this is a good idea. On the flip side, I had to store mine once while moving and for my benefit and the one storing them...I made a list of everything I dropped off so there were no questions.

You also have the bad position if your house gets robbed or burns down of replacing his property of having a weird wedge driven between you guys.

This is true. Thankfully it is "only" a few Ruger pistols...nothing crazy expensive.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might not hurt to have him sign a hand-written note listing the stored weapons and absolving you from liability.

Otherwise, if something happens to him while you have the guns, his heirs could give ya fits about the number, brands, value, etc.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom