Any of you guys buy/own gold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What yukonjack said. Brown's pay more then anyone in the state and been at longer then anyone I've heard of. Jerry has passed, but his wife and daughter are still at it.
The OP is buying, not selling. What does Browns charge for a 1oz non collectors gold coin? I can get one from Apmex for $40 over spot. Can Browns match that?

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Helping a family member out here.
Spouse deceased, had a collection of silver dollars and half dollars. Quite a large collection actually.
Is the silver worth more than the collectors value. some silver dollars going back to the 1800's, most into the 20's or later.

silver dollars, morgan dollars with carson city or new orleans mint marks are worth more than spot price. seated liberty dollars and trade dollars are also pricey. but it's all about condition for the later years. i'd put them in lots of 5 mixed dates and and start the bidding at a touch over spot - ebay em. but the hoarder in me would want to keep the coins

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been buying gold from the US Mint since 2006 as well as misc gold from various places. I especially like the American Buffalo 1 oz Proof and that is one coin (Bullion) I've been buying every year since they came on the market. The market fluctuates and one day I might have $50-60,000 worth of gold and the next day $40,000. But I do know that when times get tough gold is going up and that may help us get over the hard times more easily. The are those who would say, "you can't eat gold" and that is true but I also have a supply of dehydrated food and other necessities. And if I croak, the wife is set up. Been buying silver also but that is not the subject.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
silver dollars, morgan dollars with carson city or new orleans mint marks are worth more than spot price. seated liberty dollars and trade dollars are also pricey. but it's all about condition for the later years. i'd put them in lots of 5 mixed dates and and start the bidding at a touch over spot - ebay em. but the hoarder in me would want to keep the coins
Thanks! The spouse is clueless what to do with the collection. I'll get back and let her know, although at 80+ I'm betting she is not going to be on ebay.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! The spouse is clueless what to do with the collection. I'll get back and let her know, although at 80+ I'm betting she is not going to be on ebay.

if the blue book of coin values is still available that would be a good reference of dealer pricing, numismatic news is also a source for current retail pricing - if it's still in print. brown's would likely grade them and treat her honestly and perhaps make an offer. the grading has changed so much, there used to be just the following condition grades - cull, fair, good, very good, fine, very fine, extremely fine, about uncirculated, uncirculated, proof. there are now more grades going from uncirculated thru proof than all the other older grades combined. in the early 80's i bought a 1927 brilliant uncirculated standing liberty quarter for 275 bucks. they are fairly rare due to being struck in very high relief, they wore super easy. this one had a wear spot on liberty's shield, i sent it back as it should have had no wear if truly uncirculated. grading is not easy

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if the blue book of coin values is still available that would be a good reference of dealer pricing, numismatic news is also a source for current retail pricing - if it's still in print. brown's would likely grade them and treat her honestly and perhaps make an offer. the grading has changed so much, there used to be just the following condition grades - cull, fair, good, very good, fine, very fine, extremely fine, about uncirculated, uncirculated, proof. there are now more grades going from uncirculated thru proof than all the other older grades combined. in the early 80's i bought a 1927 brilliant uncirculated standing liberty quarter for 275 bucks. they are fairly rare due to being struck in very high relief, they wore super easy. this one had a wear spot on liberty's shield, i sent it back as it should have had no wear if truly uncirculated. grading is not easy
I hear you. Had a mercury dime collection when a kid. Pretty easy to grade them back then, but I've been looking online, and it's pretty difficult to grade one now, which makes an easy target for someone unscrupulous to take advantage of a senior with no clue.
The $2 bill collection is pretty impressive too. Dozens of them from great to well worn. Haven't looked yet to see if any were silver certificates.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took some Morgan (Silver) Dollars to a coin shop in OKC on Western I think and they offered me a certain amount for a hand full of dollars and I refused their offer because I knew I had more in hand than they were offering. Moral is not to go in and take the 1st offer given without doing your own research.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'll awaken this old thread. I decided to check on selling off some $50 American Buffalo bullion and this is what David Lawrence sent me-
Thank you for the inquiry. Common Buffalo gold really struggles to bring any significant premium over the price of gold even in a retail environment. The 2008 issues including the fractionals bring small premiums, but the rest typically do not. With that, even in 70 holders, we wouldn’t be able to pay stronger than spot. In fact, we’d have to pay less than spot simply to make a modest profit.
On the pre-1933 gold you have and commemoratives, we’d be happy to review a list of what you have and let you know what you could expect. Just email me a list or spreadsheet and I’d be happy to review. Thank you, and let me know if you have any other questions.
So buying bullion isn't as lucrative as I thought, it would be better had I put the money in the bank. Or sell if the gold gets up to $1,841.00 per ounce again. The sad part (stupid me) I paid as much as $1,700 for one piece (ounce) and they want o buy it for spot at $1500... I'm not going to buy any more bullion (American Buffalos, they're a pretty coin but that's about it.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'll awaken this old thread. I decided to check on selling off some $50 American Buffalo bullion and this is what David Lawrence sent me-
Thank you for the inquiry. Common Buffalo gold really struggles to bring any significant premium over the price of gold even in a retail environment. The 2008 issues including the fractionals bring small premiums, but the rest typically do not. With that, even in 70 holders, we wouldn’t be able to pay stronger than spot. In fact, we’d have to pay less than spot simply to make a modest profit.
On the pre-1933 gold you have and commemoratives, we’d be happy to review a list of what you have and let you know what you could expect. Just email me a list or spreadsheet and I’d be happy to review. Thank you, and let me know if you have any other questions.
So buying bullion isn't as lucrative as I thought, it would be better had I put the money in the bank. Or sell if the gold gets up to $1,841.00 per ounce again. The sad part (stupid me) I paid as much as $1,700 for one piece (ounce) and they want o buy it for spot at $1500... I'm not going to buy any more bullion (American Buffalos, they're a pretty coin but that's about it.
Thanks for the info! We've considered investing our girls savings in gold or something instead of just having it at the bank but have been hesitant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom