Any of you guys shoot 5.45x39?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had several AK’s that shot that caliber, and a ton of milsurp ammo for the same, but I got tired of having to clean the rifles thoroughly due to the ammo’s corrosive nature. Just one round, and it was scrub time. I sold off everything.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love it. Never had a use for it, was always a 7.62x39 guy - until I bought one. The 74 is my favorite flavor of AK now, I'd never want to be without one. Plenty accurate and no recoil, so follow-up shots are quick.

emapples - was it Polish? There were some Polish 74s built here that had the wrong bore diameter, and they keyholed something awful.

Last edited:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one, it was prone to key holing but man was that ammo cheap. If I could find a good one I’d get another
Keywords cheap. It used to be cheap. Then Obama buggered it all up and banned the military surplus. You could get a crate of ammo that had to spam cans in it. That was over 2000 rounds for less than 200 bucks easy. Those days are long gone. BO didn’t want Americans to have cheep steel core ammo. I remember he even tried to ban the US American 5.56 62 grain green tips.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love it. Never had a use for it, was always a 7.62x39 guy - until I bought one. The 74 is my favorite flavor of AK now, I'd never want to be without one. Plenty accurate and no recoil, so follow-up shots are quick.

emapples - was it Polish? There were some Polish 74s built here that had the wrong bore diameter, and they keyholed something awful.
What I had was a Century Arms, it was a typical century of the time poor workmanship, slightly canted sights, not to terribly but nothing great (I traded my duck bill sks for it...which was a great deal for me as I hate the SKS duckbill set up its junk). I didn’t have the old stock or I would have converted it back. I think I ended up selling the AK-74 here, wish I hadn’t always thought I’d find a quality built version someday and well I never did. And I don’t know if the ammo is as cheap as it used to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom