Any Of You Military Retirees Recalled?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, if you retired, your hooked for life, should the military for some reason want you back, whether active reserve or inactive reserve. This is especially true for officers.

There are plenty of younger retired people to choose from so the older you are the less likely you are to be called back

Yeah, about the only way to get out of that is if you are dishonorably discharged, medically discharged, way too old/unfit to do anything, or dead. Once you sign on the dotted line they should honestly tattoo "Property of Uncle Sam" as a tramp stamp on you.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew General Officers were AD until they croaked. Remember 5 Star General Omar Bradley? It's interesting that he lived on-I think Fort Bliss in Texas until he died. He was on AD his entire life.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, about the only way to get out of that is if you are dishonorably discharged, medically discharged, way too old/unfit to do anything, or dead. Once you sign on the dotted line they should honestly tattoo "Property of Uncle Sam" as a tramp stamp on you.

Funny...I had this one recalcitrant PFC one time who really didn't want to deploy, so the night before, he shaved his head and had "NOT FOR EMBARK" tattooed on the back of his head. I told him to get his gear and get on the damn boat.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, if you retired, your hooked for life, should the military for some reason want you back, whether active reserve or inactive reserve. This is especially true for officers.

There are plenty of younger retired people to choose from so the older you are the less likely you are to be called back

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, if they let me fly all over the world and partying hard like I did for 20+ years...hook me up! But, I think being a fatass that enjoys my "special chocolate", I don't think they will be calling me anytime soon. :)

DoDI 1352.01 discusses recall in depth. However, if you have been out for more than 5 years or over the age of 60, odds of being called up are very, VERY slim.

However, the policy established in DOD Directive 1352.1 - Management and Mobilization of Regular and Reserve Retired Military Members, makes the recall to active duty unlikely for those who have been retired for more than five years, and those over age 60.

https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodi/135201_dodi_2016.pdf

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, first of all, I didn't retire. I just got out. Secondly, I wasn't anywhere close to "medical." Thirdly, I'm creeping up on 74 and cranky as all get out. (When I did get out, I think there were folks in the company that was glad I was gone. So, that crankiness would make me even less desirable to the government.)

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think we have much to worry about. Too old, too many medical problems, overweight. It’s not like we can run fast and jump high like we did in basic.

The best they could hope to get from us is firearms instruction.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons that when you get out you do not "resign your commission."
I did what is called a REFAD (Release from Active Duty)
If you do resign your commission and are recalled or drafted, you come in at whatever level they want you at.
If you did not resign your commission then you can not come back in at a lesser rank than you left.

Dave

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have access to my papers but if I remember, at age 60 a military retiree is dropped from the Active Reserves. Am I correct? Then they're Inactive Reserves?
I'm not a retiree, but was in the inactive reserves for 4 years because of a critical MOS after active duty and a couple hitches in the active reserves mid life. Even got a nice enlistment bonus for doing so.
Here are the rules for recall:

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/u-s-military-rules-for-being-recalled-to-active-duty-3357010

Rules for Military Retirees and Recall
Retirees (those who spend at least 20 years in the military and draw retired pay) can be recalled to active duty for life. However, the policy established in DOD Directive 1352.1 - Management and Mobilization of Regular and Reserve Retired Military Members, makes the recall to active duty unlikely for those who have been retired for more than five years, and those over age 60.

Before enlisting, know the specific rules for the job you want to do in the military, and what the expectations are for your term of service.

How Does Being Recalled Work?
The President of the United States has “Presidential Reserve Callup Authority.” This means that when needed the President can be recalled to military service to support military operations. Typically, this is done with a state of emergency. If a state of emergency the President can recall members for an indefinite period of time. If there is no state of emergency, the President is limited to call less than 200,00 Reserves and IRR members for a period of less than 400 days. Currently the United States is in a “national state of emergency” so if needed the IRR recall has very little limitations.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom