Any old Shovelhead fans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish she was just marking. Id be okay with a drip or 2 but shes really letting it out lol

What kind of spool you have driving that belt? I know the first belt drives ate tranny seals because they were too heavy. HD lightened them up after a while - might be something to look at.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its a built 96” I think the Thunderheader does it the most justice
What kind of spool you have driving that belt? I know the first belt drives ate tranny seals because they were too heavy. HD lightened them up after a while - might be something to look at.

From what I read the seal on the mainshaft is pretty prone to failure so Im guessing thats what it is. Going to order a few tools I need and Ive been watching vids from Belt Drives Limited on install and removal of the system so Ill probably take it off next weekend and have a look.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its a blast. Do have a leak on the trans so Ill take it apart this winter and fix it. Going to start cleaning the bottom off regularly just to see where its coming from. Hoping its just a gasket and not a seal or Ill be learning a whole lot more about transmissions lol.
On Harleys that are old enough they actually leak on purpose. I may be totally wrong in your case but on those Harleys old enough the oil leakage was actually for lubricating the drive chain. It was intentional weepage. There’s a way to adjust it and it was called an automatic chain oiler. Yours being a shovel head should have it. Maybe it’s not your transmission leaking at all.

The EPA being what they are got involved and that chain self lubricating went away, but there was at one time a real purpose for them marking their territory.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On Harleys that are old enough they actually leak on purpose. I may be totally wrong in your case but on those Harleys old enough the oil leakage was actually for lubricating the drive chain. It was intentional weepage. There’s a way to adjust it and it was called an automatic chain oiler. Yours being a shovel head should have it. Maybe it’s not your transmission leaking at all.

The EPA being what they are got involved and that chain self lubricating went away, but there was at one time a real purpose for them marking their territory.
Yeah ive considered it could be the oiler but its pretty bad, way more than a few drips that should be doing. Got the tools I need on the way so hopefully next weekend Ill be able to get in there and look around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom