Any OSA member ever dealt with family member re dementia?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My FIL was recently admitted to a skilled nursing facility. The primary criteria for his stay there was that he participate in rehab. He's one of those difficult dementia patients and he's stubborn, and the facility informed my wife, at the close of business on Friday, that she had 48 hours to relocate him.

She works full time and has been working like crazy to find accommodations for him. It's not as easy as finding a motel room since a lot of staff (at these places) are off on weekends.

She found out she has a right to appeal the discharge, but does that give her extra time? Since she's going to appeal, can he stay where he is in the interim?

We have no problem with them evicting him. It's just that it takes time to find an alternative.

Anybody here dealt with such?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he gets violent it may be hard to place him, and a lot do just out of frustration. Sadly I do not know what the rules are anymore since it has been over 20 years since I was around nursing homes and the rules can change yearly. You may have to look for a locked unit. They mostly deal with wonderers but can usually deal with violent people too.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My FIL was recently admitted to a skilled nursing facility. The primary criteria for his stay there was that he participate in rehab. He's one of those difficult dementia patients and he's stubborn, and the facility informed my wife, at the close of business on Friday, that she had 48 hours to relocate him.

She works full time and has been working like crazy to find accommodations for him. It's not as easy as finding a motel room since a lot of staff (at these places) are off on weekends.

She found out she has a right to appeal the discharge, but does that give her extra time? Since she's going to appeal, can he stay where he is in the interim?

We have no problem with them evicting him. It's just that it takes time to find an alternative.

Unsure what the SNF Medicare laws are, but in the hospital if you appeal a discharge: you stay in the hospital until the appeal is resolved

Last edited:

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes, my father was evicted from his assisted living while I had him at the VA for treatment from a bad fall resulting in a head wound. Rolling him out of the ER I was notified by phone that he was not allowed to return home. It was a Friday evening at 4:30 pm, I turned around and found an empty examining room and we parked our asses there until we could catch our collective breath.

I knew we had patient rights but really was winging it at that point. We eventually found a respit for the weekend until we found his next home in Shawnee at Belfair. It was a tough time for sure and if it wasn’t for the respit I would have been screwed.

A respit is sometimes hard to find, luckily my wife has been in the home health/hospice industry for almost 20 years now and her connections helped us out.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both grandmothers, uncle, father, mother, me, how much farther do I go?

I found it amazing the concepts of wife, child, father, mother, stayed intact but the physical recognition of their faces was gone.

Grandmother knew she had children but told my father he was not one of them. When it was dad's turn with alzheimers he would be found at the counter of the bowling alley trying to buy donuts.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Are you in the city?
Contact Wellington Parke in Del City. If they cannot help you there, they have other contacts. (800) 385-2527

Latest posts

Top Bottom