Any recommendations on a Shortwave radio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm also looking into this HAM stuff.
I have a neighbor that has been into amateur radio for a long time. He agreed with the others that said the radio in your link wouldn't be a good radio to start with, but it was a very well built, 10-watt radio.
He actually has a couple of the HD1 radios like in your link and said you can get a much better deal from here; HD1GPS+IP67 Speaker Mic+Programming Cable+Long Antenna+Battery .
He also said there is a local club called SCARS that just started a new study class for an amateur radio license.
Войдите на Facebook
Welcome to SCARS - W5NOR - SCARS
He advised the test was free thru SCARS, but next month the government was going to start charging a $35 fee.
The $35 fee will be assessed by the FCC to successful applicants receiving a license. The club offering the test can continue to charge $0 (up to $15 to cover costs) and only those passing the test will get an e-mail from the FCC requiring payment within 10 days in order to keep their new license valid. The payment process can be done online.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So now I just started on this kick. Want, something hand held, usb chargable so the patriot power cell can charge it. Not looking to be licensed, and or an operator. Just something to have on hand in an emergency situation. Just started looking since this thread and know about nothing on the topic. Have watched a few u tubes and searched top 10. Not knowing anything on the topic nothings been selected and I'm in hopes of a good lead here. Last but not least , affordable for a shoestring budget. Thank you.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh boy....here I go. About 50 years ago, freshman in high school, I got excited about ham radio. Took classes and got my Novice license ( back then only good for 1 year) borrowed equipment then had to move and returned the equipment. Only used morse code and really had fun with it. Now, 50 years later I decided it was unfinished business (and if SHTF it might be good to have) and found some online study help. Passed the Technician License (took in Tulsa) and then the passed the General test (took in Edmond). Spent about 2 grand on some fairly nice equipment......but here it is several years later I have yet to ever transmit. Just a little apprehensive if I have it all set up right. I listen occasionally and still like to find a slow morse code sender to test my skill but they are few and far between. They talk like mic-shyness is common but I have yet to get over it. Hate to broadcast/confirm my ignorance.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh boy....here I go. About 50 years ago, freshman in high school, I got excited about ham radio. Took classes and got my Novice license ( back then only good for 1 year) borrowed equipment then had to move and returned the equipment. Only used morse code and really had fun with it. Now, 50 years later I decided it was unfinished business (and if SHTF it might be good to have) and found some online study help. Passed the Technician License (took in Tulsa) and then the passed the General test (took in Edmond). Spent about 2 grand on some fairly nice equipment......but here it is several years later I have yet to ever transmit. Just a little apprehensive if I have it all set up right. I listen occasionally and still like to find a slow morse code sender to test my skill but they are few and far between. They talk like mic-shyness is common but I have yet to get over it. Hate to broadcast/confirm my ignorance.
Check out the Digital Modes. There are many, among which FT8 is extremely popular. You don't talk, it's all digital through the keyboard.

With either Digital or Voice, or Code, you don't have to talk a conversation. Just exchanging a signal report is fine, maybe even a weather report is fine. Boom! You're done, and done fine.

Makes definite plans to attend Field Day, on Saturday -Sunday June 25-26. You can just simply observe, drink coffee, etc. You can operate, or not, that's fine.

As for your current setup, you could probably invite another ham over to just check and verify your system is set up and working well, good SWR, etc, and operate it and make a few contacts.

Do you attend a ham club meeting near you?

Best wishes to you.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you attend a ham club meeting near you?
I haven't yet. I probably need to do that and meet some folks with like interests. Maybe I could coerce someone to take a look at my gear/antenna, etc. Just like school....I studied for the test so, really didn't learn/comprehend as much as I should have. I think I made 100% on the General exam, I took the practice exam online so many times I had seen most of the questions already. I bought a Yaesu FT 950...... as well as a small 2M.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any amatuer radio clubs in the OKC area? I'd ask my father who is an extra, but I'm trying to surprise him with getting my license. I'd like to share that with him while I still can.
Don't know about clubs, but there's a group that meets at Madison's in Del City on at least some Saturday mornings in the upstairs room. They're usually at the tables up near the door. Don't know if they're there as Hams or something else, but they often talk Ham radio. A couple of the have hats & jackets with their call signs.

The folks I was hanging out with are live steamers & machinists and such.

Bill

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about clubs, but there's a group that meets at Madison's in Del City on at least some Saturday mornings in the upstairs room. They're usually at the tables up near the door. Don't know if they're there as Hams or something else, but they often talk Ham radio. A couple of the have hats & jackets with their call signs.

The folks I was hanging out with are live steamers & machinists and such.

Bill
Yes. 5 or 6… OCAPA, EARS, W5PAA, Mid-Del, Choctaw, Norman, and more. Link to CORA LINK

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I went to hamfest Saturday morning bright and early. Talk about being in a place and seeing so much stuff I had no idea what 99% of the electronics were for. At least it was neat seeing a lot of ancient technology that will likely be useful and maybe the only way to communicate over distance in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom