Any recommendations on a Shortwave radio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Odd thing about code is that not everyone can "send" code, no matter how well they can receive it. When I was stationed in Pakistan, they assigned us a couple of guys that didn't need nor take code in their training, so my trick chief and I were tasked with teaching them. My trick chief wanted to be the teacher because it was a break from the regular work. After a couple of weeks, he came to me and asked me to "give it a try because the two guys just couldn't learn it."

I sat down with the guys and started sending, and they went right to taking the code and getting it mostly right. Come to find out, my trick chief was "ham-fisted" and couldn't send code in a "regular" manner, so the guys couldn't really determine what letter or number he was sending. Prior to taking the Technician Plus test, I did use a code software for practice. After all, almost 30 years of no usage of code left me a bit rusty.
There are some good online code learning websites. I liked this one best Learn Morse Code in 20 Lessons - W5NOR - SCARS by the time you complete the 20 lessons you'll have a good beginning.....just practice from there.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Royden Jr. helped me out a few times when I worked at Piedmont PD back in the early 80’s. Had to get new crystals for an old handheld radio and he took care of it at no charge.
Dad did a lot of stuff for LEOs, so it doesn't surprise me. ICM was shut down maybe 5 years ago, due to market conditions. Dad is enjoying his retirement at the moment, spoiling his grandkids. He made it to one EnS with me a while back, and we go shooting about every other weekend.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got two pieces of hardware today a Yaesu FTM-400XD and a Astron RS-20M power supply. Now I only need the FCC to get me my call sign and to get an antenna for the radio. I'll be set for my two meter stuff then.

PXL_20220417_215532272.jpg

PXL_20220417_222306086.jpg

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got two pieces of hardware today a Yaesu FTM-400XD and a Astron RS-20M power supply. Now I only need the FCC to get me my call sign and to get an antenna for the radio. I'll be set for my two meter stuff then.

View attachment 266720

View attachment 266721
Your radio is capable of both VHF and UHF so any antenna you acquire should also support those options. I see you live in the OKC Metro so there are plenty of UHF repeaters for contacts. Your radio also supports digital voice (C4FM/Yaesu System Fusion) which has several repeater options in the OKC area. I wish you the best in your initial contacts while learning more about your new radio.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your radio is capable of both VHF and UHF so any antenna you acquire should also support those options. I see you live in the OKC Metro so there are plenty of UHF repeaters for contacts. Your radio also supports digital voice (C4FM/Yaesu System Fusion) which has several repeater options in the OKC area. I wish you the best in your initial contacts while learning more about your new radio.
I have an IC-7300 coming on Friday, so I will have to get an antenna for that too. My father is going to supply that from his attic stash along with something for the Yaesu. Since the Yaesu is portable I suppose I will need a car antenna as well. And my wife wanted me to get a less expensive hobby than guns.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom