Any recommendations on a Shortwave radio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arch73

Marksman
Reaction score
Has anyone used the ARRL material to study for one of the licenses? I was looking at this Studying for a Technician License to study for the technician license, but notice this edition is good through 06/30/22. I would think the material would be good to study and still pass the test after that date as long as you have an idea of the principles and methods of how to figure out the answers? Should a person wait till July to get the latest edition and study?

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my HF antenna up today and fired up the IC-7300. Lot's of activity in 20 meters, wish I could actually talk in that band. Hopefully I will pass my general exam next weekend.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used the ARRL material to study for one of the licenses? I was looking at this Studying for a Technician License to study for the technician license, but notice this edition is good through 06/30/22. I would think the material would be good to study and still pass the test after that date as long as you have an idea of the principles and methods of how to figure out the answers? Should a person wait till July to get the latest edition and study?

The material will still be good, especially the electronic theory basics. The changes relate to the question pool which is revised every 3 years. The Technician material emphasizes the FCC Rules as that material is key to operating correctly. The other area of emphasis is Safety as hams are killed every year by not observing good practices around electricity. What generally happens with the regular question pool update is that certain questions get dropped, updated, or clarified to reflect comments from the amateur radio community. The amount of questions per section will remain the same and subject areas covered will remain the same. The helpful part of having the new question pool as part of your study is to be able to recognize the current form of the question(s) and the answer(s). The distractor answers may also see some change so it's good to know how an answer might look correct when you first read it but has some incorrect portion that makes it wrong. IOW, it helps you better build your test-taking skills and strategy. It will still be 35 questions out of a pool of over 400 questions.

Good luck! Lots of good info and resources mentioned earlier in the thread so be sure to check those out, too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom