Any savings to be had with reloading 9mm on hand press?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just got into reloading and only reload .38 specials so far but have been thinking of getting some 9mm does. Trouble is 9mm is so cheap already and I'm not sure if it's even worth it. Anybody have experience with this? I'm using a Lee hand press.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is not much savings to be had but it depends on your goals and what type of bullet you are using. I load a 124g jacketed hollow point so the base of the bullet does not have exposed lead. This is not a self defense bullet. I buy in bulk so it is 9.5 cents each. 4 grains of Titegroup runs 1 cent. Primers 3 cents. So I'm at $135 per 1000. That doesn't include incidentals like the case lube, lemonshine, dawn soap, etc. I figure I'm in it for $140 per 1000. I buy Blazer Brass for $200 per 1000 and the brass is worth $20 per 1000.

So I'm saving about $40 per 1000.

Not much savings and I consume about 2.5-3 hours per 1000 in time.

But I am producing a higher quality product than what I'm buying and I can tune the ammo for my application.

You can save 1-2 cents a round with plated or coated bullets, and maybe another 1 cent with raw lead. I stay away from raw lead because it of the hazards and smoke. The plated and coated are a better choice but the accuracy is better with my jacketed bullets.

And it is kind of relaxing to me to go load 500 rounds before I go to bed!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
You could save a bunch by casting your own bullets. Also, keep an eye on American Reloading. I got 1000 pulled jacketed 9mm for $40 and free shipping

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on whom our next pres. is the price of all ammo could double or triple.
SO look real hard at reloading the 9 now or any other caliber that may be in your future and stocking up on supplies.
The 9 is not a target round so any reloadable brass is a +, you don't have to use just one head stamp.
Jacketed bullets with the lead base showing are just as good as all the other jacketed bullets.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only been shooting since January, but I've shot 502 9mm and about the same in .38. so I'd say I shoot about 1500 rounds in 9mm a year. I've been looking around for some training lately so Illmactually have something to practice, so that might affect my round count. Any suggestions on a path to take for reloading? Planning on expanding my collection throughout the year.

Calibers I plan on shooting eventually:
- 357 mag
-.45 ACP
Either AK or Mosin round

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It also comes down do you have the time to reload something that might save you a lot of money? What type of press are you using? If it's a single stage, then it may not be worth the time but if you're using a progressive press and can crank out several hundred rounds per hour, then that could be a different story.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can reload 1000 9mm for a little under $90, using pulled FMJ bullets, even cheaper depending on the primer. The key to reloading for me is stocking up on bullets and primers when you see them on sale. Now, I reload on a single stage press, which makes it time consuming. If I figured in my time then reloading 9mm, 45 ACP, or .223 would not be worth it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom