Any solar gurus here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to dabble in a small solar set up. I'll be running into HF here shortly to pick up a couple 100 watt panels while their on sale. We're wanting to be able to generate a wee bit of emergency power . I know about nothing on the topic so any help would be appreciated.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good YouTube vids about the HF 100 watt setup. People using them for various things. I bought the 100 watt setup for my shed. I have mounted the panels but have not finished it yet. The converter that is used in most of the vids has been OOS for months. I have everything else including the battery purchased.
47B9D560-2765-451D-9A81-D6B7499531B9.jpeg

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Treemansam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anyone needs panels there is a local guy who gets them cheap because he’s a dealer and then sells them retail but he throws in some really good consulting. Don’t tell him who sent you!
Darren
405-250-1632

LinearZero

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've put together a setup for a camper trailer based on info from most of the sources already listed here (no HF stuff though). First thing is to calculate size requirements based on what you are powering and for how long (gives you inverter size if 120v AC), plus how long you expect to run without sun exposure (gives you battery bank size). Recharge rate/panel size can be estimated based on your expectations at this point.

If you are looking for emergency power only, such as lighting and/or small appliances, you can get away with a simple system without too much heartache. I would even venture to say that you can start your endeavor with the panel, battery, and a 12v fuse block. You can get some emergency lighting, cell phone recharged, etc based on this without much more than about 300-400 bucks.

To start with, what do you think you would want to power with it?

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to step up to a higher quality panel go with Renogy. I've got this kit for my mini-camper.

https://www.renogy.com/100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-foldable-solar-suitcase-with-voyager/
Also I'm using 2 6 volt golf cart batteries which are supposed to be better than the 12V deep cycle marine battery.
I also got this for 110V power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0131GJ5X2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have 2 of the portable 100w panel’s which comes with the controller and Wiring as a kit.

Id get the pure sign inverter as it has cleaner power for electronic equipment. Ive got a 2500 and 3500 watt unit’s those will handle 20amps plus. So start looking at how many amps your devices use, a 600 watt inverter will pull a max of 5 amps
(unless I forgot ohms law🤣)

Im using Renogy gel batteries.

Latest posts

Top Bottom