Any Subaru WRX Guys Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im thinking about buying an '06 STI that has been heavily modded but really don't know sh*t about them. I got burned hard on my last turbo car and looking to learn about these to prevent getting myself into a lemon.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother loved his '02 WRX and had no issues with the car during the few years that he owned it. IMHO, I'd look for a stock STI to build over one that has already been heavily modded by another owner. After owning and driving a few different modified Mustangs as daily drivers, I've learned that sometimes it's best to leave things alone if the car will be used as a DD. I also have a hard time trusting that a used modified car has been tuned correctly and not had the absolute hell tortured out of it.

You might try browsing a few WRX forums to see if anything in particular jumps out at you. If there are any known issues to look out for, it would be well documented there.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with a heavily modded car is not having the ability to know how it was treated. You can have service records out the wazoo, but did they thrash it every day? You can have a compression test done, but that doesn't tell you if the internals are scorched because they didn't cool it down properly before shutting it off after a hard run. That's why it's so easy to get burned on one.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why is it that I have heard several of these cars that sound like they have a severe miss at lower RPM's?

They all seem to be modified, sounds terrible, didn't know if it was a common thing or issue?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is it that I have heard several of these cars that sound like they have a severe miss at lower RPM's?

They all seem to be modified, sounds terrible, didn't know if it was a common thing or issue?

It's just a trait of the flat 4 "boxer" engine that Subaru uses. I believe the cylinder orientation, firing order, and exhaust manifold design all play a role in the distinctive sound.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i cant help but to like them and just got the itch to spend some money. I WANT to buy one that someone has already modded and dumped a ton of money into considering that I know I wont be satisfied with stock performance. But I also know that anything that has been heavily modded has led a hard life and chances are you are buying someone elses headache.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know what years but at least some of those are interference motors. So you are going to want a fresh timing belt on one. I had a friend that let his go too long. It was a total loss.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you're definitely assuming a higher risk with a heavily modded one. You're also going to have more likelihood of headaches with maintenance and tuning.

When I had my 03' REX, I modded it but my mods were mostly to improve braking and handling. Better wheels, tires, rotors & pads, braided lines and better fluids, upgraded struts, etc. When I went to sell, I got top dollar and knew the buyer was getting a good deal too. Had I done a bunch of mods to the engine to wring out the last drop of HP, I'm not so sure I'd have gotten such a quick sell at my asking price.

IF, it was a package upgrade installed by a respected Subie tuner like Cobb, Rally Performance or Vishnu? I might go for it. If it's someone else's dream built from boxes delivered at their doorstep? No way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom