Any suggestions for a good GPS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will add I usually bought the updates from Garmin as they became available and still had issues. What really got my panties in a wad is some of my navigational drama was in Kansas City in not newly expanded or recently renovated areas near the Sprint Center where a lot of concerts take place in Kansas City. Garmin is just down the road in Overland Park and I am sure some of the tech needs hit some of the same glitches. That sucks about the phone being glitchy. I got a Droid and the wife has a Samsung something or other, with Verizon I can't remember in the past year or so having any issues.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use google maps on my phone and it's been great. There have been a few instances where there was road construction with detours
that weren't in the route with Google maps, but for the most part it's been really helpful. As YukonGlocker mentioned, it is free! sometimes your phone's location device needs calibrating to make the maps work properly. My LG G3 goes goofy sometimes and shows me inaccurate info, but I try to calibrate it before I take a trip and it performs great.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your out on the boonies without cell reception, you need a GPS.
I have the lowest priced, lowest tech hand held units by etrex that can be bought at Walmart.
I keep it as backup when elk hunting in NM as there is no cell service.
I walk up a ranch road on one side and walk out on the other side. It's accurate enough to show that much detail.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have a few Garmin GPS units that I used, but I got rid of them. I use my phone (droid) for everything now. I swear, the best app that there is on the planet is the Google voice. I use it for everything now. You can simply say "Take me to.." and give your destination. It will pull up the map and plot the course for you.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your out on the boonies without cell reception, you need a GPS.
I have the lowest priced, lowest tech hand held units by etrex that can be bought at Walmart.
I keep it as backup when elk hunting in NM as there is no cell service.
I walk up a ranch road on one side and walk out on the other side. It's accurate enough to show that much detail.

Modern phones nearly all have a GPS chip so you don't need cell signal for the GPS to work. But you will need an app with maps loaded and not use an app that streams data in order know on what to overlay your GPS-determined location.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be very mindful of putting that thing away when you're done driving. Some asshat "relieved" me of my first and last Garmin. It ain't worth having your truck broken into.

When we go out of town my Sony pad with Google maps does a good job. It doesn't have cellular but as long as I'm connected at home (or wherever) when we start out it keeps track of our location. Not sure how it does that. I can also tether it if I need to input an address to find.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Modern phones nearly all have a GPS chip so you don't need cell signal for the GPS to work. But you will need an app with maps loaded and not use an app that streams data in order know on what to overlay your GPS-determined location.

I have an iPhone 5S currently, and it has location services like most do, but don't they rely on cell tower pings for location? My iPhone 4 across the panhandle of OK, and in the mountains west would give me a notification that location services were not available and travel info would come from memory. Google maps.
My Tom Tom and Garmin hand held continue to update real time unless satellites are blocked by mountains.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 5S currently, and it has location services like most do, but don't they rely on cell tower pings for location? My iPhone 4 across the panhandle of OK, and in the mountains west would give me a notification that location services were not available and travel info would come from memory. Google maps.
My Tom Tom and Garmin hand held continue to update real time unless satellites are blocked by mountains.
It has a legit GPS inside. I used the CoPilot app for offline gps (i.e., no cell service), and it worked well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom