Any T/C Contender shooters out there??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I competed in IHMSA matches for right at 25 years and was the match director for four years (2000-2004) at TCGC in Norman.

I first started competing with a iron sighted 10" 7mmTCU Contender barrel which I also took my first handgun deer with.

No longer competing a couple years back I sold off four Contender frames with several scoped 14" barrels, three scoped Remington XP-100's and one Encore frame with three scoped 15" barrels........I'm down to one Encore frame with a scoped 15" barrel chambered in 6.5x55 Swed. that for now I don't have any plans of selling.

TC Encore.jpg

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one that I shot in small local silhouette matches for a few years, had .22 LR and .44 mag barrels for it. Sometimes I wish I still had it, but I traded it for a S&W model 41 that I love even more... so if I had to pick one, I'm happier with the 41. I wouldn't mind another one, but unless you use it for comp or hunting they aren't that much fun. And they're considerably more expensive than the one I bought in the early 80's. LOL!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's amazing what they sell for nowadays. I don't even remember what I got for mine. I may have traded it off for something. I started IHMSA in late 70's and probably shot it for less than ten years. That's what really got me into bullet casting. I shot .44 Mag, .30 Herrett, and full length .308. I couldn't afford to shoot jacketed bullets like some did. If I was gonna' shoot that game, it had to be with cast bullets.

gemihur

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
farmer925 ,
I doubt your 7-08 barrel is on a contender.
Many people include the term contender when referring to an Encore.
Perhaps because the G2 frames resemble a reduced Encore in appearance.
Congrats on a nice combo, a scoped 15" 7-08 Bbl on the Encore is a formidable set-up,
one capable of taking nearly all large game!
I shoot a 7mm Bellm with my contender
7mm Bellm sm.png

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I’ve started this thread if gained a little and sold a lot off. Down to 10” 45/410 and a 7/30 waters bull with a rifle stock set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need some 7-30 brass, think I have some new used in the shop. If your interested, I'll go look. Otherwise I am going to have another coffee and keep reading my boards. Its a cold and rainy walk just go look and you don't want. Ignore my attitude, I am old and grumpy, or so the wife says. :)

gemihur

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you use 375 win brass for 7-30 Waters forming, you'll be able to push your formulations a bit more with less concern of maximum loads as the design of that brass better tolerates pressures and relieves the chamber somewhat. This also holds true for the Herretts.
Otherwise hold 'em at 45,000 psi or less.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need some 7-30 brass, think I have some new used in the shop. If your interested, I'll go look. Otherwise I am going to have another coffee and keep reading my boards. Its a cold and rainy walk just go look and you don't want. Ignore my attitude, I am old and grumpy, or so the wife says. :)

Yeah! I’m interested if you have it!

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you use 375 win brass for 7-30 Waters forming, you'll be able to push your formulations a bit more with less concern of maximum loads as the design of that brass better tolerates pressures and relieves the chamber somewhat. This also holds true for the Herretts.
Otherwise hold 'em at 45,000 psi or less.

Forming that would you take it to 30/30 first?

Latest posts

Top Bottom