Any Tips on Catching a Cat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When using a live trap for clever animals, I try to find a place where I can use existing obstacles to steer the animal towards the entrance. If they can walk up to the outside of the food end of the trap, they seem to understand what is going on. Once you find a place with downed limbs, patio furniture, etc. you can start feeding the cat in that general area but keep moving the food bowl to different spots in that area so the cat gets used to looking for it and eating in a different place every night.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive caught lots of feral cats in the past, you can’t use dart guns or live traps, they’re either too smart, too fast, or not made (tranquilizer guns for cats).
Your best bet is to trap it. Start feeding it inside the shed, barn, front enclosed porch, whatever. Once you get it into the enclosed area, close the door. Then the real rodeo begins. I suggest a heavy jacket, pants, and heavy gloves. You need to get it trapped in a corner, behind something, or somewhere it can’t get out of. If you can grab it, grab it by the scruff and immediately grab both of its back legs with your other hand. Contrary to popular belief, grabbing a cat by the scruff only immobilizes it if they want to be immobilized. I know this from experience, sadly. If you kinda press the cats back against your scruff holding forearm by pulling the legs a bit it also helps keep control of the cat.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Every cat alive can be caught in a live trap, you guys just aren't putting enough feathers in the back of it, they can't resist. Many don't like the feel of the wire on the bottom of the cage and will back out, lay a piece of card board or cover with dirt so they don't feel the wire as well.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two other options, which I don’t really see any of these as options, I see them as all being used together, and whatever works first is what gets used.
You can use the snappy snare, again, best used indoors, but instead of having to pin the cat and you just have to get it to run past you and then you gotta wrangle it into the box.
Also work great on little dogs and stuff. Just don’t snare anything that may come after you. That gets interesting when you’re attached to them with a flexible stick. https://animal-care.com/product/snappy-snare/
The last option is likely my least favorite, but it does prevent you from having to handle the cat, as you can pick them up with it and shove them into the cat box, holding them in until you get the door closed without having your phalanges at stake. You do have to get close enough to the cat and get it to hold still long enough to grab it though, typically around the neck. I have a set of these if you wanna borrow them.
https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/NWSCG.html

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive caught lots of feral cats in the past, you can’t use dart guns or live traps, they’re either too smart, too fast, or not made (tranquilizer guns for cats).
Your best bet is to trap it. Start feeding it inside the shed, barn, front enclosed porch, whatever. Once you get it into the enclosed area, close the door. Then the real rodeo begins. I suggest a heavy jacket, pants, and heavy gloves. You need to get it trapped in a corner, behind something, or somewhere it can’t get out of. If you can grab it, grab it by the scruff and immediately grab both of its back legs with your other hand. Contrary to popular belief, grabbing a cat by the scruff only immobilizes it if they want to be immobilized. I know this from experience, sadly. If you kinda press the cats back against your scruff holding forearm by pulling the legs a bit it also helps keep control of the cat.
Here’s a kind of picture of the cat grabbing action.

Attachments

• 1E485639-D3AD-4776-A088-902C7D06D9F8.jpeg
    1E485639-D3AD-4776-A088-902C7D06D9F8.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 28

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Screw that!

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have quail dust themselves in my yard. I got some cats to eliminate the mice in my barn and detached garage. Those cats had kittens that were born in the barn and wild, most went feral.

Mice are gone and so are the quail, lizards, etc.

My neighbor complained about my cat that was catching song birds off of his feeder. I treat feral cats like feral hogs.

Booming feral cat populations are a disaster, science says. Here are 15 reasons why.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have quail dust themselves in my yard. I got some cats to eliminate the mice in my barn and detached garage. Those cats had kittens that were born in the barn and wild, most went feral.

Mice are gone and so are the quail, lizards, etc.

My neighbor complained about my cat that was catching song birds off off of his feeder. I treat feral cats like feral hogs.

Booming feral cat populations are a disaster, science says. Here are 15 reasons why.
Truth. Definitely not a popular opinion for many, but I feel the same way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom