Any valid comparison here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mention was made in an OSA thread that some new in box gun prices bought online are less than the local gun shop's dealer cost. I don't know about a dealer's cost of a gun, but I do know that recently in several gun shops and gun shows I have seen prices on fairly common guns such as a Ruger LC9S that were almost $90 higher with tax than the same gun ordered on line that came with free shipping plus the FFL charge. That is quite a difference when you are talking $319 vs. $406.

I used to work with some bicycle shops several years ago and they had a situation when large bike name-brand companies would require them to buy a minimum number of bicycles to stay as an authorized dealer or even to get any bikes from the company. This almost always came with a "no returns" policy from the big bike company...they were now the property of the local bike shop.

The problem began when the bike companies and distributors began selling their unsold inventory at the end of the bike season to primarily large online bike sellers (Colorado Cyclist for example) at clearance prices lower than the local bike shops paid at dealer cost. The local bike shops were then faced with having to try and sell a bike that was priced more than someone could order it online and ended up having to take a loss on each sale.

The problem got drastically worse and became a vicious cycle when the bicycle companies and distributors not only started selling excess inventory at below dealer's cost, but also started to advertise a "better newer faster stronger" (BNFS) next year model to the public to try and generate interest and future sales.

This situation was made worse for local bicycle shops as as overall bike sales began slowing and bicycle companies and distributors relied more and more on the "better newer faster stronger" model to try to generate more demand and get more sales. The fire sale of last year's models and announcements and advertisements of the BNFS models started coming earlier and earlier each year. This resulted in potential buyers not wanting to buy the current floor model bikes and waiting for the BNFS ones to arrive next year.

This caused the local bike shop to get squeezed even earlier in the season than usual. Not only could they not sell the current model at a profit, they sometimes couldn't even move them at a loss because the new next year models were promised to be such revolutionary products. That meant the local bike shop had to carry the unsold current model over the winter and then had to try to sell a now one year old non-BNFS model in a slowing sale environment the next bike season. That didn't work well at all.

This business model was not a viable one for most of the smaller bike shops. Minimum order requirements were increased by the big bike companies and distributors to make up for slowing overall bike sales, resulting in the smaller local bike shops having to quit carrying those brands. Other lesser-known bike brands who were willing to sell in smaller quantities to the local bike shops had less desirable (read that as not as publicized to the masses through expensive bike magazine and national advertising or having cheaper components) bikes and/or charged a higher price per bike on smaller purchases by the local bike shops.

The bike component manufacturers soon followed suit by allowing their name brand components to not just be sold by local brick and mortar dealers, but by the online catalog bike component sellers. In many cases, the local bike shop owners told me that reduced their component sales and service business significantly and that it became cheaper for them to buy components from the on-line catalog sellers than it was to buy from the manufactures and distributors.

The result of this unscientific finding by me? With no consideration or protection of the local brick and mortar stores by the manufacturers and distributors not one of those small bike shops is in business today. No doubt there are innumerable factors that brought about the demise of these local bike shops, but for two of the ones that closed the owners told me it was a direct result of the bike companies' actions described above. I don't know that bike and gun shops are a mirror comparison, but I do hope that the impact the bike companies had on their loyal small bike shops doesn't come to pass in the gun world.

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent 16 years working in a bicycle shop, and your analysis of the bike biz is pretty spot on. The gun business is a bit different in that gun shops generally buy their guns from wholesalers rather than manufacturers. Thus, no manufacturer's pressure for "preseason orders", at least at the retail level. I forget the approximate number of FFL holders in Oklahoma, but it dwarfs the number of bike shops. The comparison is not valid in my view.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The place where I buy my RMR'S has to compete with an officer of Trijicon who sells leftover product on ebay below dealer cost.
That's Horrible!

As far as being a valid comparison, idk. But being fairly new in the industry, I can say that I have definitely seen SEVERAL firearms on GB that are being offered at prices much lower than my distributors have them. For some guns, there will be several people sellibg it for 20-30% less than I can get it for from the cheapest of the 4 major distributors have it. There is supposed to be a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP), but no one abides by them. Sometimes, you can see which distributors they are getting the gun from, and they will take such a minor profit, it's redicules!
Say they buy a rifle for $450 that has an MSRP(supposed to be) of $600. That gun may have a MAP (HAS to be) of $525.
They turn around and sell the gun for $455. They (usually) charge $35 for shipping and a 3.5%($16) credit card fee. They pay $20 to ship and -1% CC to PAI, and walk away from the sale with $30 in profit, on a gun that was priced lower than all the other dealers would go. And yes, this strategy will make them 20 sales a day, but it's butchering the whole industry (in my opinion). It forces every small "Ma and Pa" shop in every small town across the country to now compete with every single dealer online, and so many of them are nothing more than a warehouse with 3 guys, a forklift and a van.
Everyone wants to save every dollar they can, and when you look at a shop that is trying to make a meager $50 for each of 3 guns they sell in a day to keep the lights and insurance running before having to charge an outrageous (nearly 10% in Lawton) tax, it seems almost impossible to compete. But if EVERYONE would just follow the MAP or MSRP prices and stop trying to undercut everyone, there would be room at the table for all to eat, and all would make a healthy profit.

But it's a horrible cycle... the other day I saw that one of my distributors had a $1500 rifle for nearly $100 cheaper than the cheapest one on Gunbroker. So what did I do? I listed it for $5 less than the other guy, so who am I to complain when someone else lists it for $90 less than me? And they will.
The auction closed 14 days later without selling, but that's not the point.
They say that if you're not part of the solution....

This is why our company is moving in the direction of weapons' manufacture/product bundling and away from singular firearm sales.

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been that way for over 30-40 years! Before the Internet it was Gun List and the Shotgun News.
It was really bad in the 80's when the wholesalers would do gun shows and blow out guns way below the local dealers cost.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked for a dealer many years ago that was law enforcement direct with Sig. They got burned by Sig pretty bad in exactly the way the OP described.

Latest posts

Top Bottom