Any woodworkers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know if a dado blade will fit on a circular saw? That might be the easier solution. My mantle is 6 1/2 ft long so I will lose weight by cutting off a couple of feet.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know if a dado blade will fit on a circular saw? That might be the easier solution. My mantle is 6 1/2 ft long so I will lose weight by cutting off a couple of feet.
Oh dear God NO!! First, the arbor on a circular saw isn't going to be long enough for a dado set. Second, that's just asking to have arms, legs or other appendages removed in a very violent manner. The table saw would be the only way I would do this (not an expert though, just a concerned citizen).

If you do figure out a way to put a dado stack on a circular saw and do this, PLEASE live stream it. :-)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh dear God NO!! First, the arbor on a circular saw isn't going to be long enough for a dado set. Second, that's just asking to have arms, legs or other appendages removed in a very violent manner. The table saw would be the only way I would do this (not an expert though, just a concerned citizen).

If you do figure out a way to put a dado stack on a circular saw and do this, PLEASE live stream it. :-)

And use a wobble dado blade!

Note: if you need clarification this post is totally in jest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would put them on the table saw with roller supports front and back to keep the beams level, set the blade 2" high, set the fence at 2", make a cut, move the fence to 2 1/8" make a cut, and repeat until the inside is hollowed out. 30 minute job tops.

This is what a dado blade does in one pass.....lol

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to take that as a no. Isn't there a 10 1/2 in circular saw available? Regular blade mind you. A series of cuts with that might get me deep enough

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to take that as a no. Isn't there a 10 1/2 in circular saw available? Regular blade mind you. A series of cuts with that might get me deep enough

Yes tilt the foot and make two long cuts, two short cuts on the ends, and cut a V or triangular prism out of the bottom. You'd loose some depth due to the angle, but it would save a ton of cutting and chiseling.

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to all. Appreciate the input! I hope to take about 3-5 inches of wood out and Still maintain the shape/strength. The current mantle hangs on a 2in board bolted into the brick. The board is about 5ft long. What is this wobble blade you speak of?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom