Any woodworkers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They set on the shaft at an angle (like this -/- ) and cut all the area from tilt to tilt.

The most you might get by with on a hand-held circular saw is stacking a couple blades (maybe 3?) with wide carbide teeth on narrow/thin discs. But it may kick like crazy.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to all. Appreciate the input! I hope to take about 3-5 inches of wood out and Still maintain the shape/strength. The current mantle hangs on a 2in board bolted into the brick. The board is about 5ft long. What is this wobble blade you speak of?

It's a type of dado blade that adjusts the width of cut by tilting it in relation to the arbor. I turns a true circle but wobbles the blade portion to cut the dado. They are very dangerous if not used properly and only good for rough work generally. Breakout of your workpiece is a problem that is almost guaranteed so nobody uses them for fine cuts.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dado blades can do it. But you'd be better off using a normal cut blade and cutting troughs every 1/2" to the desired depth and chiseling out the trough like suggested above...

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know if a dado blade will fit on a circular saw? That might be the easier solution. My mantle is 6 1/2 ft long so I will lose weight by cutting off a couple of feet.

I think it would, but if you've ever used a dado before, that thing is going to push back on you hard. You can use my idea above with your circular saw using a normal blade and a $20-$50 set of chisels from Lowes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what a dado blade does in one pass.....lol
Correct, but if one doesn't have a dado blade for their table saw, my suggestion is the redneck way that will work.
I have dado blades, and about any other accessory for a table saw that one would desire, but I could see he was not an advanced woodworker by his questions, and thought to keep it basic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom