Anybody bleed keeper fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you guys bleed fish that you're going to keep to improve the flavor?
Never tried it, but I'm thinking about it with the drum I've been catching.
Everyone has their favorite or the way there parents or grandparents etc. But the bleeding to me is proven to be a waste of time. PROVIDED- you take care of the catch- put on ice immediately or clean fairly soon after putting in livewell (especially in summer, perhaps not critical in early spring/winter/fall water temp in livewell are below 60)- AND get rid of all red meat. Salmon same thing, the red or grey stuff comes off all the time for me even on purchased salmon. I wont cook salmon or any fish with skin on, or red meat for the reason of fishy taste that comes with that.

VTDW1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that British chef guy is generally a pompous posterior but I remember somebody sent me a link to a video of him learning how to noodle for catfish in Oklahoma.
The locals told Chef Jackwagon that you need to bleed the catfish (around 4:50 in the video).
I hadn't heard of that before (but I'm a lousy fisherman).

LOL...my grandpa cut the tails of, my dad does, I do the same, my son does as well as my grandson! I works

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always cut the tail off of any fish over 10 pounds, and they always go in a cooler on ice right afterwards.

For catfish and carp both, bleeding them out always seems to give the meat a better taste. Of course, ALL red meat is removed from the fillets asap.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
One minute catfishing, next minute squirrel hunting. Lol
I was doing that at atoka a week or two ago. Walk the streams looking for pigs or squirrels, stop when I got too hot and would pull out my Tenkara pole and catch some bluegill when I needed a break. Tons of fun.

I don’t bleed fish, but I do gut my catfish before throwing them in the cooler.

Latest posts

Top Bottom