Anybody ever learn to play a 11 string guitar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to get the hang of 6 strings for a little over 20 years now. Hard pass!

This past year I come across a talented young man who goes by the name Billy Strings. This is one if his more simple arrangements (covering a Bob Dylan song), although it's more than challenging enough for me. This guy is oozing with talent.

They make it look so easy....

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been trying to get the hang of 6 strings for a little over 20 years now. Hard pass!

This past year I come across a talented young man who goes by the name Billy Strings. This is one if his more simple arrangements (covering a Bob Dylan song), although it's more than challenging enough for me. This guy is oozing with talent.

Billy Strings is a badass!

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Billy Strings has music in his blood. Here’s a video of him along with an amazing fiddle player. Both of these guys have been playing music since they could walk. If you think the guitar is hard to play, the fiddle is 100 times harder.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never learned to play a guitar, period. I don’t know anything about him but this guy seems to to have gotten the hang of it.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpil30eNi37bPLwKp4g4kUA/videos

Billy Strings has music in his blood. Here’s a video of him along with an amazing fiddle player. Both of these guys have been playing music since they could walk. If you think the guitar is hard to play, the fiddle is 100 times harder.

What the general public is just now discovering has been going on for many decades! It's called Bluegrass/ Acoustic/ Moutian Music, and it is absolutly great! Young, VERY talented people like Billy Strings, and Michael Cleveland, born blind, and many others are making this great music POLITICILLY CORRECT to the masses! People like Bill Monroe, Doc Watson, Flatt and Scruggs, the Stanley Brothers etc. brought this music style out of the hills and hollows, but it was originally brought to America by Europian, African, and many other immigrants, and bits of each culture stewed together for hundreds of years, and this great, HONEST, PURE, MUSIC IS THE FINAL RESULT! If you want to hear some REAL American Music, go to a summer Bluegrass Festival near you! They have stage shows with professional groups, bring a lawn chairs, but the best music is in the camp grounds late at night, where campers get together and jam! These jams range from rank amateurs, many peole take up this hobby after retiring, to some people that are better than the pros on stage! Some people camped in an old school bus, or a pup tent, camped next to a million dollar custom bus, and they are all after th same thing, GOOD MUSIC, and COMMARODERY ! We have been camping and jamming at Bluregrass Festivals in several states, for the last 50 years, leaving expensive instruments out under the awning at night and have never even heard of one thing being stolen in all that time!

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend in the Marines that played a 12 string. This was in the 60's and at the height of the "folk"music years. We would go to a park in the LA area and he would start playing, soon there would be lots of lovely young women surrounding him. I couldn't play a lick, but I benefited from his "left overs"

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never learned to play a guitar, period. I don’t know anything about him but this guy seems to to have gotten the hang of it.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpil30eNi37bPLwKp4g4kUA/videos

There are only 8 notes possible on any instrument, no matter how many strings you put on it! This looks complicated but if you watch this guy he is only playing the bottom strings, in the first part, then he moves up and plays the very same notes in a lower octave!

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried to learn but it wasn't happening. I bought my wife her first guitar a few years ago and she's getting pretty good. She hasn't tried a twelve sting yet and may never, but I hand it to her because even mastering six strings, in my book, is quite an accomplishment. That said, here's a 10 year old kid to give a listen to. If you haven't heard of him I'm sure you will since he's already shared the stage with Carlos Santana to name just one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom