Anybody get anything cool that is gun-related today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plinking at the range today finding 30 rounds of .218 Bee.
Must not have been a reloader to leave that brass on the ground.
Edit: what I have found out from some an astute observer on OSA, @DRC458, is that they are actually a very rare breed.
They are actually the .218 Mashburn fireformed from the .218 Bee.
We have some folks on here that are really knowledgeable.

View attachment 324542
Update, @DRC458 sent me a write up on the .218 Mashburn. It was developed in OKC by Mashburn arms that some of you old timers may remember.

A.E. Mashburn of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, designed the .218 Mashburn Bee. In all likelihood it is the most popular of the modified Bees, even though it has the most severe case modification. The Bee case, for all practical purposes, has a 17-grain capacity, and since it matched the 2R Lovell for the same ballistics, loads and performance, and with brass readily available, the 2R Lovell was placed on the back burner while the Mashburn version enjoyed an upward trek on the popularity scale in the 250-yard class of smallbore cartridges.

Like the .22 Hornet and .22 K-Hornet, the .218 Mashburn Bee is easy to form as long as you have a rifle to do it in. Just pop a .218 Bee into a .22 Mashburn Bee chamber, pull the trigger and, voilà, you have a new cartridge. Of all the so-called Bee versions of improved cartridges, the Mashburn moves the shoulder forward quite a bit, but while fireforming over 200 cases, I found that neck and mouth splitting were held to a minimum if the rifle has correct chamber dimensions. I had four that split at the shoulder and two of them had twin splits within close proximity of each other. Annealing in all probability could help, but for only four cases (around 2 percent), I didn’t think it was worth the effort.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Update, @DRC458 sent me a write up on the .218 Mashburn. It was developed in OKC by Mashburn arms that some of you old timers may remember.

A.E. Mashburn of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, designed the .218 Mashburn Bee. In all likelihood it is the most popular of the modified Bees, even though it has the most severe case modification. The Bee case, for all practical purposes, has a 17-grain capacity, and since it matched the 2R Lovell for the same ballistics, loads and performance, and with brass readily available, the 2R Lovell was placed on the back burner while the Mashburn version enjoyed an upward trek on the popularity scale in the 250-yard class of smallbore cartridges.

Like the .22 Hornet and .22 K-Hornet, the .218 Mashburn Bee is easy to form as long as you have a rifle to do it in. Just pop a .218 Bee into a .22 Mashburn Bee chamber, pull the trigger and, voilà, you have a new cartridge. Of all the so-called Bee versions of improved cartridges, the Mashburn moves the shoulder forward quite a bit, but while fireforming over 200 cases, I found that neck and mouth splitting were held to a minimum if the rifle has correct chamber dimensions. I had four that split at the shoulder and two of them had twin splits within close proximity of each other. Annealing in all probability could help, but for only four cases (around 2 percent), I didn’t think it was worth the effort.
Cool info. I missed out on a Mashburn rifle last year

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I used to go into his store when it was on Pennsylvania just north of 10th. He then moved to a building not far from Old Paris flea market. I was just a kid but would hang around and listen to the old guys talk. I learned a lot around there but Art was a crotchety old fart.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Do tell!!!
It was actually 2020.. Time flies!

Jud Little of Ardmore passed away early that year and his estate put his gun collection on consignment at Jerry’s gun shop in Ardmore. I want to say the Mashburn was a 22-250. It was in excellent condition, like all his firearms were. It was in that mid-20th century style with rosewood accents and white spacers… Not exactly my cup of tea, but it still would’ve been neat to have. I had a shortage of funds though.. I believe it was built on a commercial FN Mauser style action.

He had a lot of cool stuff…. 3 Champlins, a Griffin & Howe sporter, Ludwig Borovnik double rifle and more. They’ve still got at least 3 of his firearms left. A Bansner and two Rifles Inc. rifles.

Last edited:

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to go into his store when it was on Pennsylvania just north of 10th. He then moved to a building not far from Old Paris flea market. I was just a kid but would hang around and listen to the old guys talk. I learned a lot around there but Art was a crotchety old fart.

I remember going in Mashburn Arms on NW 12 and Penn. My friends parents owned Jackson Drug store next door. Bought my first Colt 1911 70s from Southwest Shooters a few miles south of there.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got another book. Turned out the listing was for 2 copies.

20221204_213409.jpg

I posted pictures over here:
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/...yclopedia-of-the-worlds-firearms-1978.346567/
Check out that post to see what I do with the extra copy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom