Anybody here ever cruised to Progresso Mexico?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going on a cruise on the 16th to Progresso and Cozumel, I’ve never been to Progresso and was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions on what there is to do there for a day ? I’ve had a couple of people tell me that it’s scary, dangerous and not a very nice place ? Obviously I won’t have a carry gun with me so I’ll be depending on my charm and good looks to get me thru any difficulties, but was hoping someone could give me some insight before hand ?

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never been to Progresso, but if it is truly scary and dangerous like others have said I wouldn't count on charm and good looks to help you if you run into any bad guys. More likely it'll require an exorbitant ransom.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Stay in the mostly touristy areas and you’ll be fine. Not much to do in Progresso the last time we were there. We did a tour of the Chichen Itza ruins. I thought it was pretty cool but my wife not so much. It’s also a 1 1/2-2 hour bus ride from port. They didn’t tell us that when we signed up for the tour and I think that’s what disappointed my wife.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cruise spots are pretty safe overall. it behooves folks to maintain safety or the cruise ships and tourists won't come if it is not. if not drinking, then hit the small shops maybe off the main square. its fun to dicker with the locals.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe we cruised to Progresso a few years back, we went to a pharmacy and bought some medications without a prescription. Nothing exotic, just basic stuff. The pharmacy was run by a fairly young American gal, prices were reasonable and a lot of other cruise passengers were there as well with the same intent.
When we went back to US customs on reentry, we declared everything and had no problems at all.
I would imagine that if you told a lot of friends and family that they would put in orders for medication for them and it might overwhelm you and ruin your vacation.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the natives are fleeing to El Norte, why would I spend money to go where they want to leave? Your money & you’re welcome to spend it as you like. Vaya con Dios - you may need Him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom