Anybody know how old this might be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1781.JPG

Wow!! Didn't realize there were this many kindred souls on here! I inherited my Sweet 16 in 1970. Believe it was made in 1959.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 120939
Wow!! Didn't realize there were this many kindred souls on here! I inherited my Sweet 16 in 1970. Believe it was made in 1959.
The S/N on mine checks to 1962. The label with the friction ring diagram inside the forearm looks brand new. The rest of the gun looks about the same.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is a 47 model. Bought it unfired at a farm auction 10 or so years ago. The neighbor had a very extensive Browning collection and passed away. The son had no desire for guns but gave me the story.
Dad came home from WWII and bought a pair of Brownings. The LOP was too long for the one bought for the wife, so he sent it off for a Bishop stock to be installed. Before it came back, the wife fell ill and died, so it was put in the safe until I bought it. That gun fits me like a glove.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's max dram for a 16GA 1 1/8oz load? I'm curious because they kick like a damn mule! That Federal box in the post above with a paint stain on it? Yea, those are max loads. I'm thinking the mag tube needs to be totally dry to shoot those.

Fired about 10 of those and 15 or so of the others. All shot great.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's max dram for a 16GA 1 1/8oz load? I'm curious because they kick like a damn mule! That Federal box in the post above with a paint stain on it? Yea, those are max loads. I'm thinking the mag tube needs to be totally dry to shoot those.

Fired about 10 of those and 15 or so of the others. All shot great.

you might have the recoil ring on 180 degrees out, the bronze ring on the mag tube with the forearm off the gun, turn it over and your recoil might be tamed

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you might have the recoil ring on 180 degrees out, the bronze ring on the mag tube with the forearm off the gun, turn it over and your recoil might be tamed
Nope. Its set for heavy loads. It still runs the normal field loads set that way. I do keep the tube very very lightly lubed. Maybe I need it totally dry.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't have an A5 here, just from memory if it had hard recoil you turned the bronze colored ring over and put it back on 180 degrees flipped, and the recoil became manageable, a friend had an A5 that was beating him up, we suggested he flip the ring and it solved his recoil problem. i'd try it just for the heck of it, won't hurt anything

Latest posts

Top Bottom