Anybody Know Welders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I installed my grandma's porch ramp last weekend and got hands on with my cousins new little 110v welder. Lincoln 31MP. (Pretty sure it's also sold as the pro-mig 140 mp in non-big box stores) It's a nifty little multi-purpose mig/dc tig/stick machine with a 60% duty cycle. So I decided on the drive home I'd go ahead and upgrade my welder in the shop. I'm a hobbyist that's been using the same beater 100 amp Lincoln flux wire feed for some twenty years.

I spent a little time in the welder supply and big box shops the last few days, hours on youtube looking at reviews, etc... all the dilligent stuffs and what not. While I was looking, it's hard not to look at LE's 210MP. I know it's twice the machine in all aspects
I don't really want to run a new 220 circuit to the garage, but it'll also run on 110v, but only at a 40% cycle, 220v at 25%.

Now I don't have very many projects that require running long beads like that, but I'm also not sure I'll use a 220v machine to its full potential. Price difference is spot on double. Any advice for the guy that hobbies in welding?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the Lincoln 210mp. Absolutely zero complaints and I use it a bunch. Anything specifically you wanna know?
I do run it on 220 cuz I can. I haven't run it on 110. Lots of possibilities with that machine if you wanna tig or run a spoolgun too.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that comes to mind to be aware of, the 210mp uses a slightly different tip than the other Lincoln wirefeeds. Atwood's and some of the other stores don't carry the right tip. It's got a different thread and the threads are wider/flatter so keep plenty on hand unless you only ruin tips when the welding supply store is open.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I would have bought a 210mp when they were under a grand, but since I'm planning on running 110v anyway, is there any reason to pick the 210mp up over the 110v dedicated 140mp machine with the better 110v duty cycle?

I rarely weld anything over about .125, mostly 14-18ga flat stuff. All in all, I make decorative trendy junk my sisters enjoy and restoration/auto stuff.

I know the cheaper regular size desert will be delicious, but looking at the sundae with hungry eyes... know what I mean?

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The setup is so fast and foolproof. If you know your wirespeeds and amperage by heart for every metal thickness then the 210mp isn't so great but if you want to just select material thickness on the screen and the machine sets itself, then you'll love the 210mp.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I would have bought a 210mp when they were under a grand, but since I'm planning on running 110v anyway, is there any reason to pick the 210mp up over the 110v dedicated 140mp machine with the better 110v duty cycle?

I rarely weld anything over about .125, mostly 14-18ga flat stuff. All in all, I make decorative trendy junk my sisters enjoy and restoration/auto stuff.

I know the cheaper regular size desert will be delicious, but looking at the sundae with hungry eyes... know what I mean?
Honestly it's probably overkill for your situation but if you can swing it, you'll never outgrow it with all its capabilities. Do you ever wanna make anything out of aluminum? You can hook a spoolgun to it in about 2mins. But you do need different gas for that.

But, if your like me you'll end up buying a tig and putting the spoolgun up for sale. Lol

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of my dad's is an old oilfield welder, and he said 120V welders are just toys. My dad normally welded with a 220V welder, but didn't have 220 to his new shop, so he was trying to make a 120V unit work; all he needed to do was run a bead around the inside of a bearing race to get it out, but that little welder just couldn't cut it. When he finally gave up and took it to his buddy, he said, "well there's your problem right there, trying to weld with a toy."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a Miller 250 amp AC/DC, 230V stick welder guy. I weld up to 1" material at times, and this rig is barely big enough for that size. Lots of root passes and caps.
Welded lots of tig on Aluminum back in the day, but don't have the need for one now.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small Lincoln mig pack 100 and it works well for the small stuff I have ran it off a harbor freight 2000 w continuous Inverter hooked up in my vehicle on sight many times with flux core and mig wire.
Handy little thing.
For heavy steel welding i use my Old Lincoln AC225 I have used many other welders that are better but these get the job done on a budget. No aluminum with these though.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of my dad's is an old oilfield welder, and he said 120V welders are just toys. My dad normally welded with a 220V welder, but didn't have 220 to his new shop, so he was trying to make a 120V unit work; all he needed to do was run a bead around the inside of a bearing race to get it out, but that little welder just couldn't cut it. When he finally gave up and took it to his buddy, he said, "well there's your problem right there, trying to weld with a toy."

Those are what we learned to weld on in Ag . . . used them for small projects and what not, but we had to jump up to a bigger one for our other projects.

Latest posts

Top Bottom