Anybody know which store this is? "Thieves steal $27k worth of knives from Tulsa store."

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I inquire as to why they didn’t have an alarm? Seems like that would have prevented the follow theft at the very least.

Or, did they have an alarm. Maybe they did, and it just took LE 4 hours to respond. IDK, that’s why I’m asking.
I can answer that very easily. If there was an alarm system it probably was for the door as a set of door contacts only. They circumvented that by the glass breakage on the door. They did not open the door, therefore did not break the contacts. If there was a motion detector, it was not tripped because the area it is protecting was not violated. The glass breakages can sometimes be detected by an electronic glass break sensor. These sensors, ever since their invention, have been very buggy and are prone to both false alarms and nondetection of glass breakage. They have replaced the labor intensive foil tape seen on old alarm system windows and doors.

Tempered glass is required by building code for doors because it shatters into small safe pieces. It also makes a completely different frequency from plate glass. Curtains, posters, stickers, blinds, and the like also change the glass break frequency and can muffle the sound. The detector manufacturers have been battling those problems ever since the technology came out. They even make glass break detection tools that make the sound of breaking glass, both tempered and plate. Each manufacturer of these detectors have instructions about where and how far away the devices have to be to test the detector's installation. In the 2000's window bugs were invented but still have trouble detecting broken glass and after years, sometimes lose their adhesive and fall off or come loose from the window reducing their effectiveness.

Having said all that, the installers I know and have watched never follow the instructions and a standard practice is throwing a set of keys at the detector or just tapping it to see if it trips. Usually, because the devices to test cost money and the companies don't want time wasted on testing especially if it won't test 100% which sadly is about 70 to 80% of all glass break installations.

False alarms have been reduced over the years by better technologies and installation practices, but environmental and user error ie. curtains, blinds, stickers, etc are still the bane of alarm companies

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
tap on glass, set off alarm. police come. 10pm
tap on glass, set off alarm. police come. 12 am
tap on glass, set off alarm. police come 1am
throw brick thru window, steal stuff, police slow to respond 3am
That is another thing. Cops think it's a false alarm unless someone goes away in handcuffs. Alarm systems go into the alarm state for a reason. Ants in front of a motion detector look like elephants, Hanging signs blown by HVAC systems, someone tapping on the glass, etc.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m guess that wasn’t the first time those people were in the store. They didn’t spend a whole bunch of time looking around looking around before filling up their bags.

A few years ago in Tulsa a firearm dealer was broken into. The story that I heard was either the alarm wires or power to the building was cut and the cellular backup failed. We trust that those things will work like they’re supposed to, but as another poster mentions there are a whole bunch of reasons why they don’t.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m guess that wasn’t the first time those people were in the store. They didn’t spend a whole bunch of time looking around looking around before filling up their bags.

A few years ago in Tulsa a firearm dealer was broken into. The story that I heard was either the alarm wires or power to the building was cut and the cellular backup failed. We trust that those things will work like they’re supposed to, but as another poster mentions there are a whole bunch of reasons why they don’t.
Burglars pull the meter to kill power to the building and security cams. We bought a UPS battery backup system for our security cams that operates with wifi.
It will keep the router on as well as the outside battery powered cams and the inside cams active during loss of power for a long time.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been in there a lot lately but not that night. Great store and spoke to the owner just before he moved locations. Talked to him about using his services for finding us our new property before we used a family friend to represent us. Owner is also a real estate broker for G7 Ranches. Those theives broke in the back doo where the main parking lot is for their shop. The parking lot and their rear door where everyone come through to shop is the perfect spot for theives to smash and grab. It's dark, isolated and away from any public street. Perfect storm for nefarious activities.

Latest posts

Top Bottom