Anybody need lead for casting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'll make a note beside your name. Honestly, it isn't looking promising that there will be any left over, but things can happen. People can change their minds and some might come available. I'll make sure to let you know if any does.

No worries. I just threw it out there just in case.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm good with that price. I would even take an extra 100lbs if there's any left over at the end.

If we do all we can to make this go smoothly, perhaps there will be another time. The range owner can make some cash money, and we can all get some supplies.

Let's all go the extra here, and in a year or so we may be doing this again.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we do all we can to make this go smoothly, perhaps there will be another time. The range owner can make some cash money, and we can all get some supplies.

Let's all go the extra here, and in a year or so we may be doing this again.
I swung by the range tonight and spoke with James. We went and pulled one of the steel plates off the range backstop and he showed me the lead that has built up. Let me tell you, those steel plates are heavy. We removed one of the smallest plates on the backstop, and it took everything both of us had to move it! My back already hurts just thinking about getting that range torn down and all the lead shoveled up, but that's what I agreed to help them do!

He told me that pre-covid, they'd do a lead cleanup about every six months. Hopefully, we can do this again in less than a year's time. The lead is about 3-4 inches thick, 3 feet deep, and about 18 feet wide behind the steel backstop. The backstop is angled, with open slots at the top of each plate at the overlap that allows the bullet to fall in behind the steel plates once it hits the backstop. It all just piles up back there. I would've taken a picture, but it was pretty dark in there with only one of the backstop plates removed.

I reaffirmed with him this evening that his plan was to take the range down for a day next week for maintenance and cleanup. The exact day is TBD, but he said he'd call me once they decide which day to shut down.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everybody, just a quick update. I just left the gun shop and spoke with James. It looks like he is going to be hiring a company to come out and pick up all the lead. They are not recycling it. They are just picking it up and gathering it all into drums for him. He says it’s been really busy at his shop, and right now they are targeting taking the range down on Monday, the 14th. He told me that whatever people he is using to tear down his range and pick up all of the lead have been difficult to get scheduled.

I appreciate everyone’s patience, and will be reaching out to you as soon as we have it all gathered up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everybody, just a quick update. I just left the gun shop and spoke with James. It looks like he is going to be hiring a company to come out and pick up all the lead. They are not recycling it. They are just picking it up and gathering it all into drums for him. He says it’s been really busy at his shop, and right now they are targeting taking the range down on Monday, the 14th. He told me that whatever people he is using to tear down his range and pick up all of the lead have been difficult to get scheduled.

I appreciate everyone’s patience, and will be reaching out to you as soon as we have it all gathered up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious if there's any update.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Though I really don’t shoot enough to justify it, I have an itch to get into casting my own muzzleloader bullets. I made a deal about an hour ago to pick up 11# locally, but I would be interested in getting in on this deal when it materializes.:thumb:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone needs some in a hurry, I have around 15 pounds I am giving away. You pick it up in Edmond.

GONE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom