Anybody sent a Ruger Blackhawk 3 screw back to Ruger for the free conversion kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dunno why anybody would do that to an old model. We all know to keep an empty chamber under the hammer.

But if one does send it back, as stated, Ruger sends all the old parts back and the gun can easily be restored to original.

That said, once upon a time I bought an old model 44 mag flat top where the owner had used it in fast draw competition. He had reshaped the hammer.............not unlike this:
FastDraw.jpg.bacf9fa22dcff769b2a43d207fe08c90.jpg

I sent it back to Ruger and they converted it ........ no questions asked. I sold it shortly after.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As previously stated; you can carry five rounds with the hammer on an empty chamber just fine...

...Or you can take a 25% loss in value by converting it.

The good news is that 1) The owner of any gun can do whatever they want to with it and 2) Ruger usually sends the original parts back so you can restore it later.

I'm of the firm belief that the inclusion of the transfer bar does stiffen the action some.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were you happy with the quality of work done? Would you do it again? Does the hammer still have to be on the loading notch for loading, or is it like the new model where you just open the loading gate?
I was Just thinking that had to be in the 80's or 90's. It was a long barreled Single 6 .22 that I used in IHMSA .22's.

It's a factory conversion, actually as I recall it was a parts replacement not a conversion or modification to the gun. I know the deal back then was to return to old parts, so if you had both sets of parts there was a premium among collectors. You were still supposed to able to assemble the old parts back into the gun. I don't recall even what parts were involved. Never had a problems with work from the Ruger factory.

Wasn't it the Colt clones that had to be pulled to half cock to load. The Hammer notch was where the hammer rested between between chambers, so the striker would not rest on a primer. Either that or the hammer rested on an empty chamber

If I were to acquire an old model that did not have the conversion, the first thing I would do is send it in and get it converted.

In 1969 a friend of mine was taking his loaded and holstered Ruger single action out of a storage locker and bumped the hammer. The gun discharged and the bullet struck our other friend in the head and killed him. One man dead, one mans life destroyed. We were in the military and he was court martialed and sent to Portsmouth.

I have never liked revolvers with out some sort of hammer block safeties since.

Edited to add the NOT

Last edited:

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was Just thinking that had to be in the 80's or 90's. It was a long barreled Single 6 .22 that I used in IHMSA .22's.

It's a factory conversion, actually as I recall it was a parts replacement not a conversion or modification to the gun. I know the deal back then was to return to old parts, so if you had both sets of parts there was a premium among collectors. You were still supposed to able to assemble the old parts back into the gun. I don't recall even what parts were involved. Never had a problems with work from the Ruger factory.

Wasn't it the Colt clones that had to be pulled to half cock to load. The Hammer notch was where the hammer rested between between chambers, so the striker would rest on a primer. Either that or the hammer rested on an empty chamber

If I were to acquire an old model that did not have the conversion, the first thing I would do is send it in and get it converted.

In 1969 a friend of mine was taking his loaded and holstered Ruger single action out of a storage locker and bumped the hammer. The gun discharged and the bullet struck our other friend in the head and killed him. One man dead, one mans life destroyed. We were in the military and he was court martialed and sent to Portsmouth.

I have never liked revolvers with out some sort of hammer block safeties since.
Thank you for the information. The story about your friend is heart breaking, and I completely understand your preference for a hammer block. I’ve watched videos that demonstrate how easy it is to do what you described. When I do use the gun, I only load 5 and leave the hammer on the empty cylinder. Again, thank you for letting me know your thoughts about it.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I have shot a couple of converts. They aren't exactly like the New Model, either. IF you want both to be identical; sell the 3-screw and buy a New Model.

The positive is Ruger sends back the original parts. But, your would have to keep up with parts and then reinstall if you wanted it as original.
That is terrible, horrible advice!
KEEP the 3-screw and buy a new model.
:D

But, good luck buying a new Blackhawk. I've been on the hunt for a Blackhawk in .45 Colt for almost 2 years now with no luck. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom