Anybody sent a Ruger Blackhawk 3 screw back to Ruger for the free conversion kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 original 3-screw and 4 new models with the transfer bar. I haven't paid close enough attention to notice any differences.

The 2 differences, half cock loading and the carry with an empty chamber, don't matter to me.

I will never send those 3 screws in for conversion.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 original 3-screw and 4 new models with the transfer bar. I haven't paid close enough attention to notice any differences.

The 2 differences, half cock loading and the carry with an empty chamber, don't matter to me.

I will never send those 3 screws in for conversion.
Like taking a '57 Chevy in and having an air bag and a 3rd brake light put in!

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those old guns have character
That just made me realize how stupid my original question was. Thanks for the brutal honesty
Haha well I was just kidding! To each there own but I just wouldn't mess with a classic like that. I've only seen a handful of ones that have been converted over the years and they have a strange looking hammer. It really kills the collector value. If you carry it with the hammer down on an empty chamber there as safe as anything.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a couple of converts. They aren't exactly like the New Model, either. IF you want both to be identical; sell the 3-screw and buy a New Model.

The positive is Ruger sends back the original parts. But, your would have to keep up with parts and then reinstall if you wanted it as original.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot a couple of converts. They aren't exactly like the New Model, either. IF you want both to be identical; sell the 3-screw and buy a New Model.

The positive is Ruger sends back the original parts. But, your would have to keep up with parts and then reinstall if you wanted it as original.
I’m keeping it original. I was being more curious than anything. I was looking at the 3 screw manual on Ruger’s website, and the first page is about the conversion. Just thought I’d see what others had to say about it. On a different subject, I’m getting prepared for the next match at Grandfield. If you laughed about my dumb question in this thread, I’m sure you’ll definitely have a few good laughs at my first CAS match.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m keeping it original. I was being more curious than anything. I was looking at the 3 screw manual on Ruger’s website, and the first page is about the conversion. Just thought I’d see what others had to say about it. On a different subject, I’m getting prepared for the next match at Grandfield. If you laughed about my dumb question in this thread, I’m sure you’ll definitely have a few good laughs at my first CAS match.

Wasn't a dumb question. The ones I know about being converted, was by people convinced they were unsafe. Can't argue with them.

I don't laugh at anyone. I am concentrating on them not laughing at me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom