Anybody smokin' today???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's an interesting trick I hadn't heard of. I will try it. Also I added some 1" flat stove gasket material to the lid of my Treager to close off the air gap. I had to add a weight to the lid handle to pull it closed tight so I got a gal vinegar bottle and filled it with water and made a wire to hang it from the handle. Kinda redneck but it works lol.

It's still a timed algorithm instead of a PID. May work better but it's still limited in its ability to react to temp swings IMHO the savanna PID is much better

Next is a door gasket for me as well and a welding blanket for long cooks in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went from this

0e3ad5474e77e4a41c85c2cc64ad2f55.jpg

To this

36378a67db8b37d98fc6df642ba4d731.jpg

For anyone that has the plain Jane Traeger controller I'll let my controller go for $60 shipped. If you have the older model, this will give you a wider range of temps and p-codes to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how are you cooking them (high heat, indirect, etc)?

One thing i've found with the reverse sear (my preferred method) is that you can bring both up to 'temp' and then sear to desired doneness.

I believe it was meadhead from amazing ribs that said searing adds ~20°, so if you give your wife's a head start you should be able to time it such that each end up ~20° away from being your desired amount of 'done' at the same time. Then just sear them together over high high heat and you're good to go.
Pellet grills are indirect heat, almost convection oven style.
I got the pellet grill on start and let it get going at low heat, then added my wife's steak when I turned it up to 375 degrees. Hers stayed on there while heating up. It was directly underneath some bacon wrapped asperigus on the upper shelf so the bacon drippings were falling on the steak. I used a bi-metallic temp probe to monitor the internal temps. When It got to medium well, turned the grill up to 475, let it get to temp and put mine on for a couple minutes on each side. Came out just slightly over medium rare but was edible.
I'll have to revisit the reverse sear method to see how it might work.
I love the Sous vide method. Makes a perfect steak every time, using the infra red searing side burner with a great sear.
Nightshade of his forum hooked me up in an earlier post with a Night bird plug and play temp controller that I use on a common crock pot to do the Sous vide method. https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-308-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B01MDSWXY4

I'm going to try that next. Put her steak on, and have mine prepping in the crock pot, waiting until the prime moment to put it on the grill.
Her steak had great color/etc, mine on the other hand did not have the char that an infra-red searing burner produces.

Latest posts

Top Bottom