Anybody snagging spoonbill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The "tag' time of day caught and permit number is on my stringer and my stringer has my name and license number on it also along with Yukon OK.

I play by all the rules.

It was a good trip for sure.. son has not got to go in the last 2 years.
Wife was just at his house and said he was trimming the fillets out and she said his knife sucked.
Said it did not look to be cutting well.
She basically hinted that I need to get him a decent knife.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Swampratt, congratulations on the fish!

I hope we can do that well this coming Saturday...

Do you have any good recipes for cooking spoonbill! I have only pan fried the bigger steak cuts, or deep fried the smaller nugget size pieces...

Do you "degrease" your fish as well? The first time I did that, I was shocked at how much grease a single fish had in it!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cut the tail and let it bleed out. then filet the fish with skin on.
Then place skin side down and cut into strips like steak and remove red meat and fat.

I then rinse the pieces under running water and dry with paper towel.
Creole seasoning and lemon pepper on all sides and pan fry or grill over wood or charcoal.

I have deep fried it .
Use this recipe I made .
1.5 cups cornmeal.
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning.
1.5 teaspoons black pepper.
3 Tablespoons lawry's Lemon pepper with zest of lemon( it needs to be that exact one)
2 teaspoons dill weed.

Dip the small pieces into a beat up egg and then into the above mix and deep fry. shallow pan fry will not work you need to deep fry.
I use that mix on many fish.
here is the lemon pepper i use.. others have too much salt and just taste salty.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/10804938...75035&wl11=online&wl12=10804938&wl13=&veh=sem

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got one with 12# test using a crankbait on Saturday that was probably 40# (estimating off the size of my wife's). Took about 15 minutes to get him to the side of the boat. We were fishing for sandbass obviously (caught 23). My back has been acting up and I just didn't feel like heaving her in for a photo op like my wife's, so I got the touch and removed the lure for her to go back to her business. Quite a few people were catching them, but I didn't see any huge ones.

I have to say I was a bit miffed. The wind made boat control tough (especially in my buddy's pontoon). There were tons of boats out there and some people were driving like jackwagons. One guy in a bass boat weaved through a dozen boats on plane and drove right over this fish and my line, even though we were trying to wave him off. Luckily at that point she was down deeper or he'd have hit her. Other boats could see we were fighting a fish and being courteous. A couple even trolled over to watch. It just amazes me how some others could be so inconsiderate. I don't care if you're on plane, but how about not blasting by within a boat length or two? :censored:

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_Spoonbill_zpszmsr357c.jpg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good swampratt, thanks for sharing! I will get some of that seasoning before Saturday and give it a try...

Nice snag Glocktogo! I can't believe how inconsiderate some of those idiot boaters can be!!! I missed commenting on the earlier picture of you and your wife with that spoonbill. Very nice fish and congratulations...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good swampratt, thanks for sharing! I will get some of that seasoning before Saturday and give it a try...

Nice snag Glocktogo! I can't believe how inconsiderate some of those idiot boaters can be!!! I missed commenting on the earlier picture of you and your wife with that spoonbill. Very nice fish and congratulations...

Thanks! It's amazing what you can haul in with fresh line and a properly set drag. BTW, she was using Berkley Trilene XL mono and mine was on Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom