Anybody What a Bat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just went outside to take the trash out. On my way back in, I moved the doormat over and there was a little brown ball of fur under it. I took a good look to find it was a bat. He was alive but, really out of it. I put him in a box and brought him in to warm up. Now I don't know what to do with him. I guess I'll let him out on a warmer day or call the animal shelter.
You need to have him checked for rabies. That will kill him. And may kill you and every other warm-blooded critter in your house.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to let you know real 2021 costs for a bat bite or scratch, if the state health department can't verify that it dosen't have rabies is about 15k at the ER and another 5k in additional rabies shots after you get the initial immunoglobulin shot. So just figure 20k for the immunoglobulin and the 4 rabies vaccines taken once a week for a month.
I suggest you get rid of it asap. Rabies is not the way a person wants to die.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't eat it for dang sure!
1641252954947.png
Relax... it's just burnt chicken wings...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to let you know real 2021 costs for a bat bite or scratch, if the state health department can't verify that it dosen't have rabies is about 15k at the ER and another 5k in additional rabies shots after you get the initial immunoglobulin shot. So just figure 20k for the immunoglobulin and the 4 rabies vaccines taken once a week for a month.

You obviously didn't read the comment just before yours.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys if you do find a bat or any other type wild life, wear heavy leather gloves to pick it up. We have helped everything from turtles to a fox and all will bite if scared.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

All joking aside, rabies is nothing to fool around with. It wasn't a bat, and there was even some discussion as to whether skin was actually broken but glove definitely had puncture holes and that was enough. I don't ever care to repeat that experience EVER again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom