Anyone Convert their Gasoline Generator To Natural Gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After the latest ice storm in Oklahoma and power loss for 4 plus days, I ran my two generators on gasoline off and on keeping the freezer and refrigerator going to prevent the loss of food, I decide dot convert my generators to natural gas.(Tri-fuel). The will now run on gasoline, natural gas and LPG. No seasonal preparations or storage because on natural gas the carburetor won't develop that dreaded varnish from gas. I bought a couple of kits from a company and installed them and they are now ready for the next ice storm.
However, I see on Youtube that one can convert their generator (there are several videos) without a kit and one guy even converted his generator without a kit or carburetor. Typically, they drill a hole in the plastic breather apparatus and insert a hose and feed natural gas through the hose and the engine pulls the gas in and fuels the engine. Some regulate the inflow with a standard gas valve such as one would have on the 1/2" line going o the hot water heater.
Anyway, this subject has interested me and thought maybe others might be interested. Natural gas is more reasonable in cost than gasoline and doesn't spill all over your clothes and I feel if used prudently, is less dangerous-others may disagree but to each his own.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should use a regulator made for engines, so when the engine/vacuum stops, so does the gas flow.

Otherwise... if your engine dies unattended, it will continue to dump gas, and you run the risk of an explosion.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
. Your 2cents is absolutely correct! That's why I used the word "prudent."
ADJECTIVE=acting with or showing care and thought for the future.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been planning this for some time, too. Need to get my big gen in the shop and get the carb worked on, and get it re-energized, or however you would put it. It won't generate power, and there is supposed to be a method to get it producing power again. I want to fab a saddle for the top of it that will take a 30lb or 50lb propane tank, in place of the gasoline one.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watching this thread. I have a natural gas line off my house that is currently hooked up to my gas grill. I would like a natural gas generator so I can have an unlimited fuel supply from the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom