Anyone Convert their Gasoline Generator To Natural Gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish we had natural gas near our place . . . being 100% electric blows.
Same situation I'm in. Total electric, on a well too. No power = no heat, no water, no flush toilet, no cooking.

There's a high pressure gas transport line that goes across the back of my property. Maybe a 1/4" drill bit and some rubber hose.....

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a generator that is already duel (propane/gas) fuel. I ended up tossing my last gas only generator because it was going to cost more to get fixed than what I paid for it. I have four propane tanks that should last long enough. The only thing I need electricity for is the fridge. In the last year I've only lost power for a few seconds.
I've also done business with: http://www.propane-generators.com/

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a heads up... Modern top tier fuels like Conoco, Phillips, & Shell won't varnish over time like gasoline used to. They pump hydrogen through it to remove the contaminants and distillates that can be removed. The hydrogen also attaches to those that can't be removed which basically cocoons them indefinitely. Hydrotreating extends the shelf life of gasoline for years and years.

Can't speak to Valero, Love's, Murphy, and other bottom, basic fuels. I'd want to assume hydrotreating is a basic requirement that came out of the clean diesel legislation, but can't confirm as those brands usually only meet bare minimum standards.

Of course, this only applies to 100% gasoline. Don't know a single person that runs ethanol in small engines.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Pure gasoline keeps for at least six months. Petroleum-based gasoline without any ethanol will still succumb to oxidation and volatile compound evaporation in a sealed container or tank, but these processes usually occur more slowly in pure gasoline, so you can usually expect it to last at least six months when properly stored."

"For lawnmowers and power equipment, gasoline can go bad in as few as 30 days. Always drain your tank before winter."

GHArms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same situation I'm in. Total electric, on a well too. No power = no heat, no water, no flush toilet, no cooking.

There's a high pressure gas transport line that goes across the back of my property. Maybe a 1/4" drill bit and some rubber hose.....
assssssplosion in 3, 2.....

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To tell you guys the truth, I used www.uscarburetion.com and their snorkels to convert my generators. So far so good, they start and run and that's what they are supposed to do. I damaged one snorkel and they sent me another as replacement. Hutch Mountain is a good one to use but I couldn't use their adaption due to the closeness of the frame around the generator. They have an aluminum piece that snugs up against the carb and it has a vent that the natural gas line connects. A good machinist could make one of these things fairly easy and then grab a regulator that is low pressure and you'd have basically the same thing. A machinist can turn out some good work. Maybe one or a few of you guys are machinists?

Latest posts

Top Bottom