Anyone Convert their Gasoline Generator To Natural Gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my concerns is this...

I was looking at a dual fuel genny to upgrade to. I noticed that it produces significantly LESS power when on Propane than when on gasoline.

Are you guys seeing this? or concerned about this?

Dave

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I was looking at a dual fuel genny to upgrade to. I noticed that it produces significantly LESS power when on Propane than when on gasoline.

Dave

You need to oversize a dual fuel generator to allow for that. Propane and natural gas creates less HP than gasoline.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I converted a 5500 standard backup gas generator to run on propane with a kit several years ago. I have a 500 gal propane tank at my lake house and tapped off with a line to feed it when needed to run the heater blower and refrigerator when the power is out.

The kit came to use with propane or NG by changing a jet. It consisted of a about half inch fitting spacer that was inserted between the carburetor and the air filter and a diaphragm holder that connected to the propane line and sensed vacuum at the carburetor to vary the amount of propane needed. It works very well. Seems like it was about $120 at the time. I think the name of the company was Century Fuel Products

There might be a slight difference in power, but not enough to be negative to a point to bother me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same situation I'm in. Total electric, on a well too. No power = no heat, no water, no flush toilet, no cooking.

There's a high pressure gas transport line that goes across the back of my property. Maybe a 1/4" drill bit and some rubber hose.....

Same situation here but we pump water from the pool into the bathtub so have water to put in the water closet of the toilet to flush using a bucket.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Pure gasoline keeps for at least six months. Petroleum-based gasoline without any ethanol will still succumb to oxidation and volatile compound evaporation in a sealed container or tank, but these processes usually occur more slowly in pure gasoline, so you can usually expect it to last at least six months when properly stored."

"For lawnmowers and power equipment, gasoline can go bad in as few as 30 days. Always drain your tank before winter."

Like I said, depends on the brand. Top tier fuel doesn't varnish anymore. The impurities that oxidize and varnish are removed/encapsulated.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dave

You need to oversize a dual fuel generator to allow for that. Propane and natural gas creates less HP than gasoline.

Correct. IIRC propane only has about 70% of the BTUs of gasoline. At least that's what I think I remember from when I had a 85 gallon propane tank fueling my truck back in the day.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think my old Gen if 5000 watts. Wife has a problem with me keeping enough gas on hand to run it and I can not seem to convince her that when the power is out, it is to late to buy gas. I wonder if I can convert it to natural gas if it would power our central heat blower, frig and my O2 concentrator? Or propane as I have a couple tanks for our propane grill that I can not use anymore.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think my old Gen if 5000 watts. Wife has a problem with me keeping enough gas on hand to run it and I can not seem to convince her that when the power is out, it is to late to buy gas. I wonder if I can convert it to natural gas if it would power our central heat blower, frig and my O2 concentrator? Or propane as I have a couple tanks for our propane grill that I can not use anymore.
Most gas stations around here have large generators and are open business as usual. I know during the last power outage, I had no issues getting gasoline the entire power outage.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most gas stations around here have large generators and are open business as usual. I know during the last power outage, I had no issues getting gasoline the entire power outage.

I was thinking more about the icy roads but that is good to know. Back when I work convenience stores none had them. Of course that was like 40 years ago. :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom