Anyone Convert their Gasoline Generator To Natural Gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think my old Gen if 5000 watts. Wife has a problem with me keeping enough gas on hand to run it and I can not seem to convince her that when the power is out, it is to late to buy gas. I wonder if I can convert it to natural gas if it would power our central heat blower, frig and my O2 concentrator? Or propane as I have a couple tanks for our propane grill that I can not use anymore.

I think the 5k gennie would be more than adequate to run what you listed, on any fuel.

Thinking of the conversion, if Natural Gas is available that would be the cheapest in the long run, plus the supply is essentially never-ending. The conversion may be a bit more expensive, depending on how you tap the NG line. It may need a plumber.

A propane conversion would be cheaper initially, but would mean having a supply on hand, plus running to get more as needed. One would need at least 2 bottles, 3 would be better.

The kits are about $150. If you need help, I'm not too far away, and have been to your place a few times. I did the conversion to propane on one if my gennies, it was straight forward.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind power outages also happen during tornadoes. Depending on the gas utility provider system large areas of gas service may be shut off until the areas with significant damage can be shut off on a smaller scale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom