Anyone else find a 1911 unergonomic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing feels better in my hand than either a 1911 or a Browning Hi Power. With that said, the ergos are dated. My HK P2000 has an extended slide release (ambidextrous, no less) that does not require a change in grip to reach--not so the 1911 and BHP. The P2000 also has an ambi mag release that requires no change in grip to activate--not so the 1911 and BHP. It comes with four interchangeable back straps, and the P30 series of HKs comes with interchangeable back straps and side grip plates, enough of each to provide for 25 different combinations to provide a near-perfect fit for almost any hand--again, not so the 1911/BHP. The P30sk is on my short list--not so the 1911 or the Hi Power.

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 1911 was designed by a pioneer. There were no ergonomic computer models. Mo just looked at his hand and went from there. Metal and machining techniques were primative compared to cnc and polymer. And it was EXACTLY what we needed EXACTLY when we needed it.
Is it a modern fighting pistol? No. But it still works every bit as well as it did a century ago. Mine is a Springfield Armory Mil Spec 1911A1.
Glock 17 is still my goto fighting pistol. But if I found myself with a 1911, I would not be unhappy, I could be a lot worse off than that.
JMB for sainthood!

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't like the "ovaly" feeling of the grip, trade it in on a Para Ordinance P14 (or some other brand 2011 double stack.) Or, if you just can't let go of yours install a set of Hogue wrap around grips. It sounds like you have a large set of mitts like I do and both of these options fit my hand quite well. I had to put a set of Hogues on my Hi-Power as well just to keep my hand from riding up under the hammer.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A study by a Washington DC think take, concluded the following:
The same number of adult males that find the 1911 unergonomic is equal to the number of Adult males that find Christy Brinkley ugly.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the first 15 years of owning them, I never got on the 1911 bandwagon, and then I bought my first Wilson Combat and discovered slim grips. My handgun preferences changed forever.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the first 15 years of owning them, I never got on the 1911 bandwagon, and then I bought my first Wilson Combat and discovered slim grips. My handgun preferences changed forever.

Your post has me wanting to order a set of slim grips for my Ruger SR1911. I have never had a set, but I'm thinking I would like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom