Anyone else get ruthlessly bumped this month?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's gonna take some serious work to get out of B and into A. I will now have to dryfire and put in rangetime.

+1 on the dryfire and range time. I'm 0.3% out of B right now. I really would like to go straight to A but I gotta get rid of the B & C class inconsistency on classifiers and in general.

Shawn_Ginardi

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lance you should be a master - no doubt.

was an A in Limited, got caught up in A in revolver and L-10 this last month and it looks like I am moving to A in production. Too many good shooters in A class, hell too many good shooters in B class. Sure funny I don't feel like an A class.

GARYLMAN

New to the site!
Reaction score
Why is everyone so caught up on classifications.I know C&D shooters who can out shoot A and B shooters. I have been shooting 15 yrs and could be a master but I do not care what my classification is. I hate to see new shooters all upset because they are just a D shooter. They usually get upset and get out of the shooting sports because they can not be an A shooter in a year. I know a lot of A and B shooters who are very good and could be masters but it took them years to get there.I seen a person at a match showing off his classification card and shot very poorly. These local matches don't mean a thing. You should use them as practice only. Guys stop telling everyone how wonderful you are and you are an A shooter in every division because truthfully,you probably went to a local match were you got classified in one day. I just had to get this off my chest. Lets get some new shooters.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is everyone so caught up on classifications.I know C&D shooters who can out shoot A and B shooters. I have been shooting 15 yrs and could be a master but I do not care what my classification is. I hate to see new shooters all upset because they are just a D shooter. They usually get upset and get out of the shooting sports because they can not be an A shooter in a year. I know a lot of A and B shooters who are very good and could be masters but it took them years to get there.I seen a person at a match showing off his classification card and shot very poorly. These local matches don't mean a thing. You should use them as practice only. Guys stop telling everyone how wonderful you are and you are an A shooter in every division because truthfully,you probably went to a local match were you got classified in one day. I just had to get this off my chest. Lets get some new shooters.

I could not agree more.....many folks get really caught up in the classifiers. I have seen folks that practice the IDPA classifier forever to get a really good classification and then go to a major and crater. I've seen folks purposely throw USPSA classifiers at locals to stay at a certain level to enable them to have an advantage at majors. Is there a solution to eiterh scenario? I'm not sure. I do know that it all washes out eventually.

Karma baby.....KARMA

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got bumped due to my finish at Area 4, dunno if that means I "earned it" or whatever may have been implied.

I actually find the USPSA system pretty robust and in most cases is a good picture of where a shooter's ability is. Most classes fall together at majors in my experience. The guys who take C and B are typically only there because they haven't gotten enough classifiers yet to be bumped. A class shooters are basically Masters, they just need a little more gelling of the various skillsets. GM's typically are very polished and can execute execute execute.

I apologize for "waving" my classification card around in other's faces, it was just a topic meant to engage my friends in conversation, not trying to pu others down. I have never practiced a particular classifier just to gain advancement.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got bumped due to my finish at Area 4, dunno if that means I "earned it" or whatever may have been implied.

I actually find the USPSA system pretty robust and in most cases is a good picture of where a shooter's ability is. Most classes fall together at majors in my experience. The guys who take C and B are typically only there because they haven't gotten enough classifiers yet to be bumped. A class shooters are basically Masters, they just need a little more gelling of the various skillsets. GM's typically are very polished and can execute execute execute.

I apologize for "waving" my classification card around in other's faces, it was just a topic meant to engage my friends in conversation, not trying to pu others down. I have never practiced a particular classifier just to gain advancement.

anyone wo gets a bump at a nation event certainly earned it and did not walk into it.....having said that, if not , there again it is self correcting..
I applaud you for your bump and in no way meant to insinuate that you did not earn it properly.

JMO YMMV.

Bubber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to disagree with the fold. I look at my classification as a goal to achieve. You cannot use local matches your practice soley. If you wish to go from D to C to B etc you must work on skill sets. And to work on the correct skill sets you wold have to define the ones you need to improve on. I shoot revolvers and for the most part, until lately, I would be the only competitor in that division so comparisons are not available. For me it is difficult to see any change that I could make with out some sort of benchmark. If one is happy just to shoot and have fun that is great as that is the most important of my agneda items but I also want to see improvements and as most local matches are different you would be hard pressed to find a correlation of how you did by how you finished from each different match. And no I have not been ruthlessly bumped up, I am still wallowing in my class just 3 percent from the next step. But oh well. later rdd

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Garylman,
You let a lot off your chest all at once.
You know that there are exceptions for every instance you mentioned. Truth is, different kinds of shooters want different things out of shooting.
Goals (classifications) and/or accomplishments (match standings) are good for measuring of skill or advancement whether you are training OR involved in competitive sports.
Since we want as many shooters in the sport as possible; regardless of their desire feed their ego or not, lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
My feeling is that their attitudes involving classifications and what it means to them will change and mean somethng else to them, after theyve been shooting ipsc or idpa for a while. Just like it did for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom