Anyone else have a dedicated theater room?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, I love my 4K screen but at 55 or 60 inches or so that is more than big enough. My big thing is my Plex and server that makes the smart tv worthwhile.
Nah, bigger is better! The new screen I’m getting is 152” diagonal, 2.35:1 aspect ratio (140” wide, almost 12 feet!!!). It’s also acoustically transparent so you can mount your center channel directly behind it for a better sound stage. Here is another pic of the room. I changed to ceiling mounted so we can get rid of the cabinet up front and add more seating. Should be able to seat 15 easily with the room to pull out more chairs if need be. Don’t mind the mess, that’s while I was working on it.

Attachments

• 8FDCD55F-C25C-41C1-944F-AE4B9901F244.jpeg
    8FDCD55F-C25C-41C1-944F-AE4B9901F244.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 110

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to have to start planning to add drives pretty soon. I swapped which case it was in when I picked one up SUPER cheap used from a guy on another forum.

Here is a video of what it looks like but I can put 48 drives into it. Start it around 40 seconds to see the drives and stuff

I would love to have a big projection screen don't get me wrong, but where I am at there isn't enough room for something of that size and I also use the screen for my computer monitor. It's not idea and I can't run super high FPS when gaming but it works.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have the room for such a thing. However, back in 2010, we upgraded from a 27" (I think that was the size) TV to a 32" Sony Bravia flat screen. The size of the TV wasn't such a great change, but the new set came in an EXCELLENT entertainment center.

Since 2011, that is home. And, my back yard is just about anywhere I want it to be.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Terry. You could probably fit a little larger flat screen if you wanted but I am sure what you have works pretty good. I have personally thought about doing something of that nature myself and just being off the grid for the most part. That is part of the reason why I have a ton of stuff I haven't watched yet. At some point I may be laid up and need something to do or end up away from everything and want to watch a movie or tv show. In a rig like that I would setup a low power system and a bunch of drives and run it off of battery power.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am still rocking an old 32" that may have tubes in it. I know it takes 2 strong men to lift that sucker.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
How funny, I was JUST looking into this yesterday evening.

Currently have a 65" 1080p, have been thinking (and fighting with The Wife) about upgrading, but I'm not going to both for a 70". 75" would be my absolute bare minimum upgrade, and I'd like an 80-85". I saw an 82" Samsung at Costco the other day for about $3500 or so and I got to thinking that I could get into a REALLY nice laser projector setup for that. Add in a nice screen and some very small upgrades to my home theater sound and I'm set.

My problem is ROOM. My house isn't really designed for this, and though we have 2 living areas, one is not ideal because of too much ambient light and it's on the west side of the house and is always too hot for me, anyways. Also the orientation of the room isn't right for good theater setup. My other living area is where my TV and computer and recliner are, but I'm currently about 12 feet from my 65". I just don't know that moving to a 100"+ screen is a good idea in such a small space, and there's not another good orientation in that room that would work. I DID do some fiddling with the home theater sound and got it improved last night, though - my subwoofer is working again (yay! I THOUGHT it sounded weak lately - like, for a couple years, lol) and fixed some balance issues with the center channel and poor dialogue levels.

I really just need a new house, but I'm probably a couple years or more away from that. <sigh>

It is funny this popped up for me today though, as last night was the first time in years I've really gotten into researching HT and projectors again. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom