Anyone else have factory Speer ammo/brass problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not my gun, all mine are supported but I have had cracked cases using factory Speer ammo.
This is just a couple pieces, a lot of the brass was ruined pretty much. The Winchester through same gun had ZERO bulges, this is not plus P ammo.
So question is are they packing more Powder or is the brass just crap?
I’ve had cases separate on 357 Sig Speer ammo and tossed them in the trash. Now seeing this on a bunch of 9mm has me wondering if they just have crappy brass or what.
50938374-436E-40AB-A1E9-F30952E6FF7A.jpeg
9FDD1DAC-132E-4804-A4F6-20A0540C9A82.jpeg
3681875C-BAF7-4C7D-9473-EF7D6B0746C0.jpeg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be the rounds were overloaded or loaded with the wrong powder.

I have seen split 30-30 cases from a buddies rifle and made him contact Hornady
as that was their ammo and they made good on it.

Sent him 40 rounds 2 boxes of the same ammo and told him they wanted him to shoot 20 and keep the other 20 for himself.

The first 20 shot was to be sent back to Hornady.
They paid postage.
Nothing wrong with the ammo he was sent so something wrong with the annealing or load on the ones he bought.

Contact Speer and see what that turns up before going any farther.
DO not toss any of it as they may want it.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be the rounds were overloaded or loaded with the wrong powder.

I have seen split 30-30 cases from a buddies rifle and made him contact Hornady
as that was their ammo and they made good on it.

Sent him 40 rounds 2 boxes of the same ammo and told him they wanted him to shoot 20 and keep the other 20 for himself.

The first 20 shot was to be sent back to Hornady.
They paid postage.
Nothing wrong with the ammo he was sent so something wrong with the annealing or load on the ones he bought.

Contact Speer and see what that turns up before going any farther.
DO not toss any of it as they may want it.
I may give them a call/email. I’m pretty sure that both calibers I’ve had issues with we’re the Speer GoldDot. Maybe they put too much “glue” in the Sig and it split some cases ?? but not sure what went on with the 9mm. Not every case was bulged and all “felt” about the same.
Weird part is I’ve used there ball ammo in both calibers but brass is brass not nickel plated and have never had any issues. After finding a coupe split cases in my 357 I won’t reload there brass nickel or not. Probably have 1000 pieces that will go to scrap, don’t trust it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got some nickel cases but I haven't tried to reload any yet. What kind of issues do you run into?
I’ve had quite a few 38 and 357 nickel case split. It’s crazy that some load just fine though. :anyone:

Edit to add…when I started reloading over 20 years ago, my mentor advised against loading nickel rifle cases, and I took the advice to heart. I know a lot of folks that do load them with no problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom