Anyone else have family that oppose CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I respect her in her home and leave it in the car when there. I dont understand people who dont respect others views. I see no reason to even need it while in their home anyways. No one there is threatening enough to me to have to be packing anyways.

But, isn't the purpose of carrying not because of those you know, but because of those you don't? I only ask this, not to be argumentative, but because there is so much of this "home invasion" stuff going around. I'll admit, most of it is probably gang and drug related, but not all.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But, isn't the purpose of carrying not because of those you know, but because of those you don't? I only ask this, not to be argumentative, but because there is so much of this "home invasion" stuff going around. I'll admit, most of it is probably gang and drug related, but not all.

Oh definitely. But,the womans son put a .45 to his head and pulled the trigger. 2 years later shes still freaked out. Not too worry. Her fathers are just a short run to the garage. Me and him have had many talks and are well aware of what we would have to do in case someone did come blasting in. He is straddling the line with her. Not in her house,out of respect, but the garage is his domain. He's armed to the teeth. Alarm system. The works. So, if we can get one of ourselves out there then we should be ok. When shes at my house,well,theres a gun in every room,she just doesnt have to see them.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's funny that the family emailed you about the situation.

If my family didn't respect me enough to talk with me about it in person, I really wouldn't give a flip what they thought about me carrying.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's funny that the family emailed you about the situation.

If my family didn't respect me enough to talk with me about it in person, I really wouldn't give a flip what they thought about me carrying.

I think it's because they either knew that it would lead to a serious conversation so it wasn't brought up in person, or because I tend to be brief in emails - maybe they thought I would just say Ok, and that be the end of it. I was up till 3:00AM this morning writing my response, back up at 6:00 to perfect it before work.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm with angsniper, although I would be more diplomatic initially, you can't back off of stuff like that. I have been asked many times incredulously how often I carry. I always say "as often as I legally can" because I do. I don't think I've ever not carried at church since I've had my CHL, and I carry at relatives houses.

It took my parents a long time to get comfortable with me having a gun on, and I lived with them when I got my CHL.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad is cool with it and thinkin of gettin his ccw, but my mom absolutely hates the fact that I carry. She just doesn't understand why I feel the need to carry a gun. She says thats what police are supposed to do, not me. So anymore, I just don't let her know if I'm carrying or not.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's because they either knew that it would lead to a serious conversation so it wasn't brought up in person, or because I tend to be brief in emails - maybe they thought I would just say Ok, and that be the end of it. I was up till 3:00AM this morning writing my response, back up at 6:00 to perfect it before work.

That's kind of my point...it should lead to a serious conversation...so if they are trying to avoid that yet still take a shot at you, I don't think you have any obligation to respond or comply. I'd let it go as "noted" and move on.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's kind of my point...it should lead to a serious conversation...so if they are trying to avoid that yet still take a shot at you, I don't think you have any obligation to respond or comply. I'd let it go as "noted" and move on.

This leads me to my other question...how many of you guys consider concealment above all else, ie, capacity, weight, gun, round, etc?
The thing is I was carrying my wife's Beretta Cheetah when I was caught. Strangely enough, I normally carry a 5" 1911 and up until
yesterday haven't had anyone say anything. This has me wondering if one of the pocket pistols is a better choice just for the fact that
they are easier to deeply conceal.

The other point I should make, however, is that it is possible it wasn't brought up because another member of our family is very outspoken,
and usually, though not always, sides with me. I would imagine he would have sided with me on this, even though he does not have
his CWL as he was highly supportive when we said we were getting them. It seems they thought it would circumvent some problems by
getting me on my own. Curiously enough, the person doing the emailing also asked me to keep this "just between us" though it was quite
obvious that it wasn't something that was acted on alone.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It didn't take long, two weeks I think...I was with family members last night trying to install a BlueRay player for the older family members without the proper cables.
Well, apparently I exposed my piece. Low and behold, three hours later I get an email stating that I shouldn't be carrying around the family -
in quite a few more words. I have my own response formulated, but what does everyone else think?

Send them about 50 links from this site:
http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html

And apparently it wasn't a big deal to them, or they would have said something while you were there.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny, my Dad got on to me just last night while celebrating my son's second birthday. He is a Viet Nam vet, hunter, gun collector, NRA member, but says to me, "Do you have to carry that around all the time?" to which I replied "Yes, unless you can tell me when I will need it exactly." To which he replied "You know that you can't pull that unless you intend to use it." I said "I know dad, that is what the class is about and I have discussed it and read about it on OSA."

It just seems weird that he would have a problem with it. Of course, he still tells me to be careful with anything I do and treats me like I am a kid. Same with my 41 year old brother...

So, if they are trying to look out for you, that might be okay, but if they are afraid what you might do, that's not so good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom