Anyone else have family that oppose CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watchcollector1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am lucky. I grew up around guns and remember dad taking me to shoot his guns when I was a kid. Mom was never a big shooter but practiced with her 38 enough to stay familiar with it.

My parents are now in their 70s and both have their ccw. Mom always has either her Glock 19 or S&W 38 with her. Dad generally has his Colt Gold-Cup and in his car a Ruger MkII.

My wife always has her S&W 38 in her gun-purse and I generally have a Taurus Millineum Pro or Springfield XD on my hip...my parents know it and dont mind a bit.

PastorDude

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife who is one of the smartest people I have ever met had some very large misgivings about firearms in general and CC in particular. We got in one of those "heated debates" and I basically told her that being a husband isn't as easy as people think. I take the responsibility to take care of my family very seriously. I explained that to her and a little more and now we are currently looking for a pistol for her. Logic worker....this time. I'll let you know if logic wins out on the toilet seat debate.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personnally I'd tell them to screw off if it was my house, they don't have to come over. If it was their house I'd just tell them that I carry, get over it or I just won't be back over. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

+1 :thumb:

That's exactly what I did.

Two of my sisters are ok with guns (one's married to a LEO, and the other is an Army vet).

My other sister and mom hate guns.

I love my family, but they learned a long time ago that they don't make the decisions in my life. I do.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
seems to me... the basic problem was your choice/method of CCW.
had you not flashed your weapon, you'd wouldn't be having this issue.

CCW means concealed carry... meaning you should have did a better job choosing which weapon to carry on that particular errand.

if you can't stand the idea of a mouse gun...
then go with say a J frame S&W in an Uncle Mike pocket holster.
disapears in your pocket with no chance of accidentally getting exposed.

titanium cylinder versions are feather weight (10.5 oz), but pricey and hard to find.
std airweight versions are plenty light at 15oz.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seems to me... the basic problem was your choice/method of CCW.
had you not flashed your weapon, you'd wouldn't be having this issue.

CCW means concealed carry... meaning you should have did a better job choosing which weapon to carry on that particular errand.

if you can't stand the idea of a mouse gun...
then go with say a J frame S&W in an Uncle Mike pocket holster.
disapears in your pocket with no chance of accidentally getting exposed.

titanium cylinder versions are feather weight (10.5 oz), but pricey and hard to find.
std airweight versions are plenty light at 15oz.

I understand what concealed carry means, there's no reason to explain it to me.

So when something pops up that requires you to do reaching, bending, etc. that could unexpectedly expose your carry piece, do you run home and switch out what your carrying or do you only carry something that you can conceal while doing any possible activity even while on private property?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

So when something pops up that requires you to do reaching, bending, etc. that could unexpectedly expose your carry piece, do you run home and switch out what your carrying or do you only carry something that you can conceal while doing any possible activity even while on private property?

Where I carry, I don't run into that problem. That's what I've never understood about people who carried at 4 or 8. Yeah, you can't see it in the mirror. But dadgum that thing sticks out like the dickens when you aren't standing straight up. (Just an observation in Wal-Mart.) That's why I think carrying forward of hips and as close to center as your anatomy allows is advantageous not only in concealment, but also retention and defense of your weapon.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where I carry, I don't run into that problem. That's what I've never understood about people who carried at 4 or 8. Yeah, you can't see it in the mirror. But dadgum that thing sticks out like the dickens when you aren't standing straight up. (Just an observation in Wal-Mart.) That's why I think carrying forward of hips and as close to center as your anatomy allows is advantageous not only in concealment, but also retention and defense of your weapon.

I fully agree with what you're saying. But carrying a mid to full size weapon forward of the hips is extremely uncomfortable to me. I suppose, I'll just get myself a Keltec. It's just frustrating that I'm going to have to make concealment my top priority instead of defense.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sorry about stating the obvious again....

no offense, but seems going to a family gathering with folks in close quarters would dictate a smaller CCW.

then yes... it would dictate a CCW that would remain concealed no matter what could pop up.

a J frame dropped into a pocket would easily fit the bill and not lose function you desire to maintain.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you all would just honor the wishes of the persons house you are at there would be no problem. There would be nothing to hide. Its your choice to go there or not. If my relatives or friends set rules that I don't like I can honor those rules by either staying away or complying. Whats so hard about that?

I don't believe I would want someone in my house that has so little respect for me that they think my rules in my own house don't matter. Man up guys, tell them how you feel,don't dishonor them or yourself.

Michael

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there is some common courtesy that could be used here.

My house is my domain, my house is carry friendly, I still appreciate it if a guest let's me know they are carrying. Other's homes may not be carry friendly, it would be best to let someone know, and allow them the choice to allow you to carry in their house.

Just my .02

Latest posts

Top Bottom