Anyone ever buy a cheaper pistol for vehicle backup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what are your nice pistols for? Leaving a weapon ina car doesn’t make a lot of sense, but I suppose a permanent one, idk leo trade in Glock, I ain’t sure why not keep a quality pistol with you at all times
I carry, but still nice to have a backup or a pistol in the car for times you forget, or are going somewhere that the law says you can't carry on you.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry, but still nice to have a backup or a pistol in the car for times you forget, or are going somewhere that the law says you can't carry on you.
I feel you brother, I got high end comp guns and a couple PSA daggers. I guess my answer is the most reliable weapon you can afford to have stolen. The daggers, or Leo trad win glocks, on the other hand, if you had a road rage incident against you, I want to see the face of the person who gets to see the wrong end of my Alaskan Toklat in 454 :)

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My truck gun is my Tarus Judge. I actually got it to wear when hiking or mowing on my 80 acre wilderness. I never know if I'll come across a pygmy rattler or a bunch of hogs, so I alternate 410's and 45's in the cylinder. It will get NASTY when mowing, etc....but has never failed me. It resides in a lock box in the truck so I know I'll always have it available.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So something like this?

6AB7BD41-CEA7-4400-A3E6-B3900CF75066.gif

Or you had something different in mind?

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older CCW I now use as a truck gun, but it is outdated on capacity and the trigger isn't my favorite, so I was considering getting a newer expendable pistol, to replace it. I'm a glock fan, but don't want to dedicate one of those or pay for a new one for a backup. However, I'm not talking about a Hi Point either LOL.

Some of the brands I was thinking about are Taurus, Canik, Stoeger, Ruger, or maybe S&W but I'd like to keep the cost down. Of those I mentioned, right now I feel like Taurus might have the best to offer for the money, but not sure so I'm asking for opinions.
Lots of used G19's out there and they make good truck guns in case one wants high capacity mags. G19 also has a great track record. I bought a new one (Gen5) locally for $450. w/3 mags.

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of used G19's out there and they make good truck guns in case one wants high capacity mags. G19 also has a treat track record. I bought a new one (Gen5) locally for $450. w/3 mags.
Yeah, I prob should stick with glock as I am a fan and for the reliability. I just was thinking about something new and was thinking in the 250-350 range. But you are probably right, but if any glock ever got stolen, it would hurt my feelings more than a taurus or keltec :) That's why I haven't already used one of mine for this purpose.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older CCW I now use as a truck gun, but it is outdated on capacity and the trigger isn't my favorite, so I was considering getting a newer expendable pistol, to replace it. I'm a glock fan, but don't want to dedicate one of those or pay for a new one for a backup. However, I'm not talking about a Hi Point either LOL.

Some of the brands I was thinking about are Taurus, Canik, Stoeger, Ruger, or maybe S&W but I'd like to keep the cost down. Of those I mentioned, right now I feel like Taurus might have the best to offer for the money, but not sure so I'm asking for opinions.
Nope, you should always bet your life on nothing less than top quality.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, you should always bet your life on nothing less than top quality.
Yeah but budget is also a harsh reality of life; especially for a backup instead of a primary. S&W and Taurus are not exactly junk guns either...but I may keep my eye out for a glock within the price range, or just get a new one and move the older one into backup service. Does anyone still sell gen 4's new these days, I don't prefer the gen 5?

27Man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, I bought a used S&W model 10-6 that had belonged to Pony Express Security Company for $99. Mechanically fine, rust free, no push off and locked up fine. However, it was rough and had a rack number etched into the side plate with some type of electric pencil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom