Anyone ever buy a cheaper pistol for vehicle backup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember it's still illegal to carry a loaded firearm in your car in okla. Cops will take one just like the bad guys.one word of advice,don't leave a box of ammo showing,that's a give away to both law enforcement and criminals.

Are you sure about this? It sounds to me like it's legal as long as you're not involved in criminal activity. What am I missing?

https://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=484807
WDDocument.gif
Section 1289.7 - Firearms in Vehicles

Cite as: 21 O.S. § 1289.7 (OSCN 2022), Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971​

FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

A. Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing or purchasing a firearm and is not carrying or transporting a firearm in the furtherance of a crime may transport in or on a vehicle a firearm, loaded or unloaded, at any time.

B. Any person, eighteen (18) to twenty (20) years of age, who is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing or purchasing a firearm and is not carrying or transporting a firearm in the furtherance of a crime may transport in or on a vehicle, open or concealed, an unloaded firearm at any time.

C. It shall be unlawful for any person transporting a firearm in or on a vehicle to fail or refuse to identify that the person is in actual possession of a firearm when demanded by a law enforcement officer of this state during any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop. Any person who violates the provisions of this subsection may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yet the latest hunting regs state..except as otherwise provided, no person may transport a loaded firearm in a land or water motor vehicle. So I guess the other rules are maybe "as otherwise provided" . ??

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep a few plants in my home and vehicle. Just make sure you put a couple hundred rounds thru them as they can have problems with feeding and lockup. Find the ammo it likes!

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And yet the latest hunting regs state..except as otherwise provided, no person may transport a loaded firearm in a land or water motor vehicle. So I guess the other rules are maybe "as otherwise provided" . ??
I think thats for rifles and shotguns during hunting season. I dont carry anything but my pistols loaded because I have seen rifles fire coming out of the case in the back seat before!

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think thats for rifles and shotguns during hunting season. I dont carry anything but my pistols loaded because I have seen rifles fire coming out of the case in the back seat before!
Doesn't really say rifles or shotguns it says firearms. My own personal experience, it all depends on whether it's police or game ranger checking. Game ranger you'll very likely get citation at least, lose gun very possible. Been there done it. Cops, likely get a ticket. Brother in law did anyway. I7ve had my truck searched 2 times when cops saw ammo and I said I didn't have gun. Seems to make the young hot shots mad if they can't find one.lol.. Of course if you ask them to put the trash in a bag while they are looking it kind of gigs them a little.i suppose you could fight it in court but likely cost more than the firearm. I don't know the rules on concealed carry I always just carried on my hip when carrying and never been questioned about it.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

State statutes will take precedence over hunting regulations.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember it's still illegal to carry a loaded firearm in your car in okla. Cops will take one just like the bad guys.one word of advice,don't leave a box of ammo showing,that's a give away to both law enforcement and criminals.
That advice is totally wrong. We have Constitutional carry in Oklahoma along with a law that says you can carry a long gun locked and loaded as well as handguns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom